Wednesday, February 28, 2024

I gained 3 lbs in one day and lost it all the next day. This is just a reminder that the scale does not dictate all of your progress.

Yesterday I experienced my first major weight fluctuation since I started my weight loss journey at the end of January. I was doing really well, getting tons of protein in, eating plenty of vegetables, staying under my calorie allowance for the day. Then BOOM, I gained 3 lbs in one day. It was the first time the scale had gone up instead of down for an entire month. This morning my weight was right back to where it was two days ago. So I lost and gained 3 lbs all in the span of two days.

It’s so easy to let scale numbers affect us emotionally, especially if you’ve struggled in the past with body image issues like I have. This is just a reminder that there are so many reasons your weight can go up overnight, including:

  • Eating something high in sodium
  • Eating something high in carbs
  • Stress
  • Bad sleep
  • Water retention
  • a hard workout

… and so many other reasons!

If you did not eat in a surplus of 3500 calories yesterday, then no, you did not gain a pound of fat overnight. This is why I think it’s so important to weigh yourself everyday so that you can get used to these fluctuations and take some emotion out of seeing these numbers. It also allows you to get a general trend of your body weight week after week, which is way more accurate than differences day after day.

There are also other markers you can use for progress, like measurements or progress pictures. You could also be gaining muscle and losing fat, which would lead to minimal or no changes on the scale, but a huge increase in for your progress!

Anyways, I hope everyone is taking care of their mental health during their weight loss journey. This is just a reminder that the scale is just a piece of plastic. It’s just data.

submitted by /u/WolverineNo2693
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/S1D6l0q

No comments:

Post a Comment