Wednesday, October 27, 2021

I really dislike being complimented on weight loss

Maybe it will seem like a champagne problem but I truly resent people commenting on my weight loss like I don't have a mirror or a scale at home. I have struggled with anorexia since 14 and had body dysmorphia predating that by about 4 years. Anytime I was on any team the moment we needed to be sized for uniforms I quit. I vividly remember deeply hating being lined up with my classmates and made to take our shirts off to check for scoliosis, really hope they stopped doing that. I remember thinking about cutting off my stomach (which was skin) with a butcher knife young enough that I didn't think I'd die. I remember looking in the mirror at my 'fat' at 99 lbs (im 5'6"). I have been in therapy for most of my life so I've worked super hard to deal with my emotions regarding my appearance and eating correctly and enough without binging or starving. Despite my best efforts I gained weight and couldn't get it off no execise or diet until I did intermittent fasting helped. I started IF in April and I've lost a considerable amount of weight. But when people comment on it I hate it. I feel an incredible pressure to keep it that way and lose more by never eating again and a feeling of fuck you I'm going to eat a cake. I don't understand why it's always the first thing anyone says I really don't understand why commenting on anyone's body is so normal, it's so unhealthy. When I was starving to lose weight it just reinforced my anorexia and when I gained weight I hated myself even more. I especially loathe the phrases "You look great" (what did you think before?) And anything that is like basic "you've lost weight" (did you think I went bling and couldn't tell?). Maybe I'm alone here I just really hate it and people need to realize even with the best intentions it can be really fucking harmful. I don't mind if it's a close friend that knows I'm trying knows my struggles and says something encouraging like " You look healthy" or "I know the IF is hard to stick to but it's working for you" basically anything encouraging that isn't about my size.

submitted by /u/Ironia_Rex
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3CrFoIc

No comments:

Post a Comment