Wednesday, October 27, 2021

How much would you pay for long-term, sustainable weight loss? (Not selling anything - read details of post)

So, I lost my weight years ago. I lost 70 lbs and I've kept it off. When friends or family ask me how I did it I tend to give a canned answer. It goes a bit like this:

"I just learned how to make exercise a habit and I focussed on eating the way that a healthy person would until the weight had come off and it was just the way I ate."

It's not untrue, but I feel like it's a bit of a half-truth. When people really start grilling me I tell them everything, but they usually start asking questions that end with them wanting to know the price tag. The honest truth is that I spent 9 months with a personal trainer ($70/week) to not only learn how to strength train, but for the accountability. She made sure I worked out 3 times a week. Once with her, two other times by myself.

After I felt confident that I could continue working out on my own, I built a modest home gym with dumbells and some other equipment. That cost about $700 total. Then I enrolled in a 9 month program with a team or dieticians and therapists who gave me customized mealplans and one-on-one nutrition coaching. That cost me about $900/month and that didn't include the food.

When I tell close friends and family about these things they always want to know how they could do the same. But I don't even know if the same formula would work for them. Everyone needs something specific. And when they find out how much I paid for it all they are shocked. See, this is why I usually give a canned answer. I feel ashamed that I needed to spend so much on something that others can achieve for free.

Here's the thing...I know it takes me a long time to form habits. I also know that whatever I did to lose the weight would need to continue after I lost the weight. All of the research on long term maintainers basically says as much. I also respond best to lots of hand holding and accountability. So the way I look at it - I would do it again in a heartbeat! Some people spend more on cosmetic procedures. I spent this money to give me my life back. I spent it to learn how to become a healthy person. My family is now active and we eat nutritious meals every night. Meals that the dieticians gave to me and I added to my recipe book. I don't regret it.

So, my original question:

How much would you pay for long-term sustainable weight loss?

submitted by /u/speedofaturtle
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3vOZ3z4

No comments:

Post a Comment