Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Is the weight loss really worth it in the end, if I feel worse about myself?

Good afternoon fellow R/loseit members!

(TL;DR @ bottom)

I joined lose it about 8 months ago as a food/calorie tracker in my weight loss journey started a month prior. And as of this writing I’m pleased to say I reached my soft goal about two weeks ago (220, starting at 285) and am now gearing to push on to a new goal of 199.

All my friends and family have been so supportive through this journey so far (that’s in reality started 2 years ago @320lb) and have made me feel like I’ve achieved something great. And I started to believe them until the other day when I went to do a set of push ups and looked down my shirt for the first time in a while.

While I never expected to lose my man boobs, I never expected to see my stomach folding in on itself. When I’m in a planning position my stomach now folds as if to resemble a hot dog bun.

After seeing this I researched and discovered about lose skin after weight loss and as I expected there to be some, I thought proper muscle building/toning would solve the majority of it. Only to further read that a surgery that most insurances won’t cover could be the only remedy.

Being overweight most of my life, has negatively affected my mental health. And I thought this would help in that aspect (with Other areas of health of course) but now that I’ve seen this and found this research I find myself asking: was it worth it? I can’t look at myself now without being disgusted. My girlfriend has done nothing but tried to boosted my ego about my body. But I fear it’s going to take a toll there also, as all I can think when being “intimate” with her all I can think is “if I’m this disgusted, how could I expect to be appealing to her” (for record sake, she has been one of my best friends since way before I attempted any weight loss, atleast 12 years)

So now I just don’t know what to do. Do I keep pushing with a tighter exercise regiment focusing on core strengthening? Will it even help? Was all this work for nothing but to hate myself further?

Have you fellow redditors had a similar situation? What was your remedy/fix? Did you have to rely on a medical system that has made itself unavailable to the common citizen?

Even if you don’t reply, I appreciate your time in reading.

TL;DR: Over the last 8 months I went from 285 to 220, and now have excess skin on my abdomen that repulses me more than when I weighed 320. Research has told me the only fix for this is a surgery that insurance won’t cover. Have you had a similar situation, if so what did you find that helped?

submitted by /u/Sathsong89
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2S0eX6b

No comments:

Post a Comment