Thursday, January 30, 2020

Plan for maintenance *now*, especially while you're still losing

227 to 172 to 197 to 167 to 218

Currently 195 and falling

Yes, this is the third time I'm in serious weight loss. The first two times I failed to do maintenance successfully and gained back a large portion of the weight that I lost. You can quibble with the numbers (https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/health-management/weighing-facts-tough-truth-about-weight-loss vs https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/health/95-regain-lost-weight-or-do-they.html) but we all know that keeping the weight off is harder than losing it.

Why? Because you're focused on a goal when you're losing. You have a plan, you have momentum, you have your charts and your graphs and your scales and your routines and your meal plans and everything else. And then, once you hit your goal, you breathe a huge sigh of relief and then, slowly, over time, stop doing the things that made you successful in the first place. Because...

  • You want to eat the things you couldn't eat before
  • You want to take it easy
  • Tracking and weighing yourself and your food every day gets boring
  • Life gets in the way
  • You feel like you can finally have a cheat day every now and then... and every now and then becomes more and more frequent
  • Keto gets really, really boring (and for me, Keto is the only thing that works)

So I'm reminding myself about what needs to change as I do this for the third (ARGH!) time, and if this helps anyone else, great. When I hit my weight goal:

  • I must weigh myself every day, because that's the only way I will be honest with myself
  • I must go back on Keto as soon as I get more than five pounds over my goal, and stay on it until I hit my goal again
  • I must continue to go to the gym every day, just like I do now

While you're still losing, be thinking about what permanent life changes you are going to be keep making when you hit your goal. Don't wait until you hit your goal and think you can go back to normal, you can't, or you'll be one of the majority of people (like me) who just gain it all back. This isn't a diet, this is your life.

submitted by /u/SlapDashUser
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2RDj1dD

No comments:

Post a Comment