Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Hiking while fat....losing toenails, massive blisters.....it wasn’t the socks or the shoes or the orthotics....it was the fat and it didn’t take getting to my goal weight to end the misery....just losing 10lbs helped.....(a different kind of success story)

I’m a 5’ 6.5” women who got up to around 245lbs. I started losing weight and around 210lbs I went on an overnight backpacking trip that was a lot of ups and down and a 4500ft elevation gain and by the end of day 2 my feet were shot. Giant blisters, lost 3 toenails and bruising around all my toes. I used moleskin and duct tape and the tips. Was blistered anyway. Took 7 months to grow all my toenails back.

I thought it was the shoes. I thought it was the socks because that’s what everyone says. Next summer I got new shoes and new socks that are guaranteed not to blister and the same thing happened except I just lost 2 toenails this time and the blistering and the bruising wasn’t as bad.

I came back from that hike and happened to have an appointment with my doctor the next day. I hobbled in wearing flip flops and she took one look at me and told me I needed to see a podiatrist and probably get orthotics. I dutifully went and got the orthotics but they were so rigid I could hardly walk in them so I never wore them.

Fast forward to summer 3 of regular backpacking and I’ve gotten down around 200lbs, same shoes, same good guaranteed no blister socks from year 2 and lo and behold.....it was the first summer I made it through with all my toenails in a long time.

Sometimes it really just is the weight. As much as we try to be body positive no socks or shoe changes could overcome the amount of pressure I was putting on my feet and toes.

I’m around 195 now. It’s been a long, slow weight loss process with some ups and downs.

But I’ve kept my toenails every summer for about 4 years now and every pound I lose makes it easier on my feet and ankles and knees.

submitted by /u/C_Wells_GreekStreet
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TZFIue

No comments:

Post a Comment