Friday, January 24, 2020

Maintenance and Exercise

I know the general consensus is that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. I don't disagree that it works out that way for a lot of people, probably even the majority of people. I wanted to share my personal experience for the others who enjoy physical activity and may relate to my experience. 13 months ago I had a baby, I was overweight when I became pregnant and I gained 20 lbs during pregnancy. I had a healthy little boy and a very uncomplicated delivery. I was cleared to start working out as soon as I felt up to it, and was told I had no need to wait for my follow up appointment and that my body would tell me if it wasn't ready.

I had continued being active throughout my pregnancy and was able to walking just a couple days after my little one was born, and I began slowly jogging as well as rock climbing a week after my little one was born. Within this week I was down to my prepregnancy weight (162 lbs at 5'4"). I continued slowly building up my exercise over the next several months and continued mindfully eating healthy. I lost an additional 50 lbs and have since been maintaining at 111-115 lbs. I wanted to provide background as I lost 70 lbs last year, but truly only 50 lbs was actual weight and not weight from the baby/extra blood volume/etc.

My TDEE when sedentary is around 1500 calories. The most helpful aspect of maintaining my weight has been physical activity. I rock climb several days a week and run 3 days a week. I get some sort of exercise in 5-6 days a week. I know the general consensus is weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but exercising has allowed me to eat normal sized meals and snacks as opposed to maintaining with small portions (meals < 500 calories). For example, tonight I ran just over 8 miles and burned ~671 calories (I know I will get the feedback that my Garmin watch isn't accurate for calorie burns, but it aligns well with online running calorie burn calculators and I have been maintaining my weight eating these back). This allows me to eat almost 2200 calories today instead of 1500, that's a almost 1.5 times the amount of calories if I didn't work out.

So if you are like me and enjoy working out, it can be really beneficial for not only weight loss but also for maintenance. I am so thankful I have the ability to stay active and eat more food. I know everyone won't relate to this, but I hope there are at least a couple people who do.

submitted by /u/aes628
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/36l6uj3

No comments:

Post a Comment