Wednesday, January 29, 2020

My experience losing the weight + maintaining so far

Hey all! This is my first post on Reddit - I normally just lurk but r/loseit has been such a good resource during my weight loss & I wanted to share.

Last year, I dropped about 30 lbs in 5 months, which may not sound like a ton but definitely made a difference in my life. I tried to lose weight using a lot of small habits so it wouldn't feel like an overhaul of my life:

  • I tracked my calories with myfitnesspal - I tried to hold myself to 90% accuracy, and overestimate instead of underestimate. I gave myself days off if needed.
  • I didn't eat breakfast, just had coffee. Doesn't work for everyone but kept my hunger down and gave me more calories for later.
  • I also let myself eat back exercise calories (tracked with FitBit). It was so much easier for me to play a sport for a couple hours and eat 1700 calories than not exercise and eat 1200.
  • I browsed r/loseit and r/progresspics at least every couple of days for motivation.
  • I weighed myself every day.
  • I tried to be nice to myself. Every time I felt myself getting frustrated with my body, I wanted to binge 10x more. Even if I felt bad about my weight, I made sure I did other things that were good for my body - hydrating, building muscles, eating lots of green things.

I've been keeping up those habits (besides adding a spinach smoothie at breakfast) during maintenance the last few months, and it's been working pretty well. I have so much more body confidence and I've found that consistent exercise is a great outlet for my anxiety. But maintenance still has been tricky for sure.

Losing weight, despite being tough, was rewarding. It was like the anticipation of opening a gift on Christmas morning, where I was so excited for what life will be like at my goal weight. When I hit my goal it was like opening that present - amazing and exciting!!!! but also bittersweet because I don't have that to look forward to anymore.

Also, it's hard not to see overweight me when I look in the mirror. I know I'm smaller because people comment on it and also my clothes are all too big, but it doesn't feel like this ~new me revelation~. Both of these things makes me miss losing weight, even though I'm already lower than my goal.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm proud of my accomplishment, but it's hard to feel satisfied.

submitted by /u/rat-collective
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2O8BcFU

No comments:

Post a Comment