Friday, January 24, 2020

Getting results with Hypothyroid and Chronic Pain.

I wanted to make this post because while I see posts with people having one issue or another, I was a lurker dealing with long time Thyroid issues, severe sciatica, daily pain and several unhelpful habits with food.

I think weight loss is one of those things that just has to click for you. Just like learning geometry,the rules of grammar, or driving a stick. We've all heard 'Calories In, Calories Out', had someone tell us how they, their cousin's, sister's brother made it work with some insanity.

I've lost 40 lbs since the end of July 2019. I got hurt after a procedure gone wrong in Fall 2016, and I went from very active to sedentary. Food became a balm for bad days, stressful days, lonely days. I lost some for my wedding, down to 157, but after I graduated my Masters, and could afford to eat out 3 times a day, I did. I hated my job, hated my isolation, hated the pain I was in, so it was I had a bad day, I want fries/pizza/donuts. I carried the weight well, so it didn't feel like it was becoming a problem. I gained 80 pounds in 2-2.5 years. I never liked having photos of me taken, even when I was athletic and slimmer, so I didn't see it there. My husband was miserable and jobless and gaining weight too. All of these things are part of the equation of the weight going on.

So give yourself a break.

We had moved there for that job I hated, no support system, and we we're miserable. We moved back. Got a (slightly) better job. Gained more weight still from pain, having a cafe in my building and stress. Holy shit that job was stressful.

End of June I quit, took my time, got a new job. I work from home now, so I can take breaks, walk, work from my bed on bad days; but that's not what helped my pain the most.

Getting active did. Insurance and physical therapy is a whole snafu, but my mom had an old gazelle in her storage unit. I took it, turned the resistance all the way up, and just started. In the beginning (November) I couldn't do 2 minutes. I can now do 25 at much brisker pace.

Losing weight did. I started Intermittent Fasting. I have to wait an hour after taking my Thyroid meds in the morning before eating anyway. I started with an 10 eating to 14 non, I'm now at a 8 eating to 16 non. It works for me, I'm less hungry, FAR less dependent on sugar and have drastically fewer cravings. The first few days SUCKED, but after that, I really don't notice as much.

I cut out soooo much sugar. I used to eat bread with every meal. Had to go. I also cut out red meat and pork. Pork has never really been something I enjoy (except bacon) and my family has horrible heart disease history on both sides, so I just said, Nah. Better for the Earth anyway. (side note peeps, keep your clothes a few extra months and shop at thrift stores)

I aim for about 800-900 calories. Not because I want to eat that little, but because I know I'm definitely underestimating. Just because the thing tells me this much cheese has X many, it's also an estimate.

I count everything. Every bite, taste, sip, you name it. I really needed to learn how fast 'Just a bit adds up'.

I exclude all exercise from my count. I exercise not to move the scale, but to make my body feel better and to get back to the level of activity I used to enjoy. Big victory, we went to Disney for Xmas, I waked 23 miles in one day. Would have been impossible for me even 8 months ago to walk 5 miles. Any calories that burns are bonus points.

I'm getting into active hobbies again. Swing dancing for one.

I drink ALLLLL the water. I was never a huge drinker, but now I barely drink 1 glass of anything a month.

Cutting back on sugar and intermittent fasting we're the two things that for me, did the most. I actively look at something I use to think was awesome and it just doesn't taste good to me now (looking at you, toaster strudels). I will make the decision, that eh, that crap isn't worth the calories. What I do eat tastes better.

Kick the sugar habit, my friends, it kills. Give yourself some slack, one bad meal doesn't kill a good streak, water is free and so is walking. I could barely walk two years ago. I'm in so much less pain now. Counting calories is only annoying the first week. A few days is a lot easier to attempt than the mountain that seems like your final goal. You can totally get this. Best wishes, don't let the bastards get you down.

submitted by /u/sBc00
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37s1Xgb

No comments:

Post a Comment