Saturday, January 25, 2020

From 256lbs to 127lbs. Pant size 24 to a 4. Shirt size 3XL to a S/XS. Ring size 10 to a 5. Worked my ass off (literally), but never thought I’d be here in a million years. 2020 is gonna be a great fucking year.

I have posted in other subs before, but this one is a first for me! I started my weight loss journey in January 2019. I was at my highest weight of 256lbs. I’m only 5’2”, so the amount of excess weight I was carrying around was pretty significant. I had finally reached a point where I was ready to take my health seriously. I was done. I had had enough. This was going to be my last try, because I was determined to succeed this time.

After years of struggling, what worked best for me in the end was a combination of gastric bypass surgery, keto and intermittent fasting. I lost 40lbs following a strict keto diet from January 2019 to April 2019 while I was pre-op, had surgery in April and I have lost the rest since then. Once I was closer to my goal, I added in intermittent fasting and moderate exercise.

On any given day I typically eat under 1100 calories, under 40 carbs, between 80-100g of protein, and under 15g of sugar. I don’t eat any refined sugars, and all of my carbs come from complex carbs. I drink a MINIMUM of 64oz a day, but usually shoot for closer to 96. I try to think of all of this as non-optional. This is just how I live now. I’m also starting to add more rigorous exercises into my daily routine, so I’m trying to slowly increase my calories to accommodate that.

This journey has been hands down the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Many people have bariatric surgery and fail. I knew that my entire relationship with food had to change, and that it was going to be a long road ahead. There was a 6 month approval process for surgery which included two 3 hour classes, multiple blood tests, many appointments with a dietician, evaluation by a psychologist, an upper GI, an abdominal ultrasound, an EKG and echocardiogram, along with a full physical and a sleep study (not to mention the very painful surgery, recovery, extremely strict pre/post operative diet and lifelong vitamin regimen). Thankfully it was fully covered by my insurance as it was deemed a medical necessity. I was in very poor health.

Ya’ll, despite what people may tell you, weight loss surgery (of any kind) is not a fix all - it’s only a tool, and it's far from easy. You use it to help you lose weight. It still requires a ton of will power. They don't do surgery on your brain, and it is not a “cosmetic” surgery. You’re literally changing your anatomy and the way your body processes and absorbs nutrients from food.

You can never take ibuprofen again. You can never smoke anything again (I’m just over 1 year smoke free!), you likely won’t be able to tolerate foods that contain high amounts of sugar or fat without getting sick, you can never drink from a straw again, you will lose an incredible amount of hair, you may or may not have loose skin, you can never stop taking daily vitamins, you always have to wait 30 minutes before and after drinking water before you can eat anything, you can never drink anything carbonated again, you can never consume alcohol normally again, and you will never be able to eat nearly as much as other people who have not had surgery. While some people who have had bariatric surgery may be able to do some or all of these things, majority of surgeons would strongly advise against it.

If you don’t follow the lifelong post op rules, you can become incredibly sick and risk Dumping Syndrome (seriously, read about it, it’s awful), you certainly won’t lose weight or maintain your weight loss, you can have severe nutritional/vitamin deficiencies... you can even die. It’s no joke.

All that said - I would do it over again in a heart beat. I did this for my health, and my health has improved 100%. No more high blood pressure meds, no more fatty liver, no more pre diabetes, no more exhaustion. It’s been a bumpy road (physically, mentally and emotionally), but I feel AMAZING.

Regardless of which path you’ve chosen for your own journey to health, it is hard fucking work. But if you can change your mindset and commit to a healthier lifestyle, whatever that looks like for you, you can do literally ANYTHING.

submitted by /u/aworsh
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/30Ttbd7

No comments:

Post a Comment