Saturday, January 25, 2020

The $20 Psychological Win of Getting Your Fat Clothes Tailored

TLDR: $20 of tailoring can make your old fat clothes your new fab clothes

I used to wear clothes to hide my body. I was overweight, I hated my body, and I didn’t dress to look good as much as to not look fat.

Then I learned how to eat healthy and lost 60 lbs. I bought new clothes, and IT FELT SO GOOD to finally be able to be proud of my body. To wear clothes to show it off instead of hide it. To catch people noticing me and liking how I looked. That doesn’t happen when every outfit is baggy and frumpy because you are ashamed of how you look.

You don’t have to hide the shape of your body with baggy clothes when you are proud of how you look. When you love the shape of your body then you have much more freedom to wear clothes that complement that shape.

I’m not saying everyone should wear tight clothes. Wear what makes you feel good. But I worked WAY TOO FREAKING HARD ON THIS BODY and tight clothes make me feel pretty.

I think everyone should have at least one outfit that makes them feel amazing, whatever that means for you. You don’t have to wait until your goal weight to buy an outfit that makes you feel confident and attractive. It is such a huge boost to feel attractive, especially for people who have hated their bodies for a long time. I want that positive feeling for you. I want this first tiny seed of self love to take root because it does take time to grow but we can start today.

And you don’t have to buy a whole new wardrobe for this. The shirt in the picture above was one of my old fat shirts. The photos were taken 1 week apart with $20 worth of tailoring. You already have your old fat clothes hanging around anyway. Why not take one of the nice ones and turn it into a source of “DAMN I LOOK GOOD” feelings? It’s cheaper than you think!

Tailored clothes are always going to look better than something off the shelf. That’s one of the reasons why celebrities always look amazing - all of the clothing is tailored to their exact shape. Many people have never tried it but essentially you’re wearing clothes now that were made for someone else’s body (the average shape of humanity). Imagine how much better you’ll look in clothes that were made for you!

I can’t speak for women’s clothing but all the tailors I’ve been to charge around $20 for men’s dress shirts, and I just ask them for a “form fitting” or “athletic fit” and they measure me and do the rest.

You could also find high quality shirts at the Goodwill or similar for cheap (be sure they fit your neck and shoulders, guys, the tailor can tighten the other parts but not those, at least not as cheaply) and a tailor can make them contour your body.

If you don’t have any clothes that make you feel good about yourself then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider trying this $20 experiment.

How we feel about ourselves shapes how we interact with others, the perspective from which we see the rest of the world, and the decisions we make.

If you feel like a fit, attractive person then it’ll be easier to make the decisions that fit, attractive people make. You’re updating your wardrobe to complement your new identity as a healthy human being. On a more physical level, my tight clothes let me know pretty quick if I start overeating, and I like the reminder of “HEY BRO ONE SLICE OF PIZZA IS ENOUGH SRSLY THIS CUTE SHIRT WON’T LOOK SO CUTE WITH THE BUTTONS POPPING OFF”.

Here’s the rub. It’s great to work hard and become as healthy as possible. It is admirable and noble and I’m proud of all of you beautiful people for the amazing things you’ve accomplished. I just don’t want you to put off really FEELING as beautiful and fit and healthy as you are until later. You’re working out and dieting and doing so much right. Let’s take credit for the work we’ve done and feel good things about ourselves, we deserve it!

Further reading: If you are often really hard on yourself, suffer from negative self image, or beat yourself up a lot over your weight then I’d encourage you to read “Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself” by Kristen Neff, PhD. I was able to make so much more progress on my weight loss when I stopped attacking myself for every mistake. I want you to be on your own team, and self compassion is a wonderful tool to do that in every part of your life.

submitted by /u/MattTheMentor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2vnsBJ1

No comments:

Post a Comment