Friday, January 17, 2020

I finally get it. Finally seeing first-hand why strength training is so important.

Short back story: I've been chubby my whole life - averaging about 40lbs overweight, give or take a few pounds.

Have tried every diet known to man (well, close), like WW, keto, Slimming World, etc. Would always lose a bit, and when I went back to 'normal', would gain it all back.

Last September, a personal trainer friend of mine said he'd help get me on track with a doable strength training schedule, and was grilling into me the importance of strength training when it comes to metabolism and keeping weight off. He wasn't too worried about cardio (although very good for me, he suggested I concentrate more on strength training - i.e. if I had half hour, use it for weights rather than treadmill). He had me count calories and stick to a calorie deficit, but was eating a lot more than I ever did on any diet. And lemme tell you, I was massively skeptical.

All I've ever been told is cardio and calorie cuts, and more cardio and more calorie cuts, so changing this mindset was HARD.

The first 6 weeks I lost pretty much nothing (2lbs), but definitely felt better. I was so discouraged though - so little weight loss when I felt like I was trying so hard! He kept telling me to be patient, the weight loss will happen.

The second 6 weeks I feel like I got in the groove and lost 10 pounds and felt amazing. I could tell I was so much stronger. Trainer friend kept telling me my metabolism was slowly sorting itself out and that I'd end up burning more calories while at rest, which was the entire point.

Then Christmas happened. I totally fell off the wagon. Went from exercising 3-4x a week and calorie counting to doing absolutely nothing, for a whole month. I didn't binge constantly, but I sure as hell didn't count any calories.

I was scared to death to get on the scale, because every other time I'd done this in the past (got off the 'diet' and lived normally), I'd have gained the weight back.

Well not this time! I got on the scale this morning and I'm exactly the same lowest weight as when I jumped off the wagon before Christmas!

Whether it's my metabolism or habits, I can tell you for sure that making strength training a focal point in my weight loss journey has been the difference between feeling like a failure and feeling really damn good about the work I've put in.

Just wanted to write a quick bit of encouragement to anyone feeling lost and not knowing where to start with weight loss. If you've tried everything but haven't made strength training a priority, give it a go! If nothing else it'll help keep you from becoming a frail old fogey. Although this road to weight loss might be longer than others, it may be the one that will finally work for you!

submitted by /u/ArmyOfMe99
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NB5wZu

No comments:

Post a Comment