Monday, February 24, 2020

Lessons Learned Riding the Weight Loss Rollercoaster

Today marks the third anniversary of my most recent weight loss experience. After being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, on February 24th 2017 I went out for a 4 mile run, which was more of a aggressive walk. I was 37 years old, 303 pounds, and had an A1C of 9.1. I needed to start making healthy changes.

Today I am 206 pounds. I run 120 miles a month. My A1C number is down to 5.7. I feel great. But I’ve been here before. I’ve been as heavy as 320 pounds, and as thin as 195. In my 20s I lost 90 pounds in six months chasing a girl (that didn’t work out).

I’ve learned a lot riding my ups and downs. Hopefully if I share it here some of that can help someone else.

1) Be kind to yourself. When you are trying to lose weight there are lots of pitfalls. Emotional eating, parties, falling back into old habits. When you are dealing with mistakes you have to be able to forgive yourself. Skip the gym? Have an extra slice last night? Don’t beat yourself up, make peace with it and be better tomorrow. It doesn’t matter that your perfect. It just matters that you are making more healthy choices than unhealthy. And guilt doesn’t help.

2) Don’t compare yourself to other people. Some people can eat whatever they want. Some never have to workout and look great. Some people can put in hours of time at the gym, or hire a nutritionist. Find what works for you. (Also be careful who you take advice from) ;)

3) The road to weight loss success is a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes you’ll see a huge loss in a short time, sometimes you’ll plateau and get stuck. Keep making healthy choices, and you’ll move in the right direction.

4) Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly. Can’t get to gym? Walk around the block. Can’t resist a snack? Grab something healthy (I like dehydrated fruit for crunchy and sweet). It doesn’t need to be perfect.

5) When you reach your goal it isn’t over. You’ve only just begun. Losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining is the tough part. It sneaks back up on you. Healthy change needs to be taken care of.

Finally, every day, every, single, day, you can do better than the day before. It’s a journey, not a destination. You are strong. You can do this. You can be the inspiration for someone else. You can make a better life for yourself. You got this.

submitted by /u/anthonyc2554
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/380hlQd

No comments:

Post a Comment