Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Science-backed weight loss tips!

Hi everyone! I’m a 21 year old male working on losing (about 12 lbs down!) and I’ve been really disheartened by the vast amounts of contradictory information available for weight loss. I’m a Public Health student and decided to use my school’s online databases to find actual scientific information to creat a guide for my own weight loss. This information has been very helpful for me and I’d like to share it with you! I’ll post a link to a bibliography below my guide. 

The most important thing I found is the leading contributing factors to weight loss. One study found that all (100%) of the participants who successfully lost weight maintained a calorie deficit. 21% of losers incorporated increased fiber into their diet, 88% incorporated physical activity, and 92% incorporated self-monitoring (journaling, food diaries, etc.)

Other things I found: Keep healthy foods at home so they’re always available. Increase vegetable consumption and eat breakfast every day. Researchers say that decreasing both carbs and fats can be helpful, but we need to eat adequate protein. Does intermittent fasting help? Maybe, but the data is pretty mixed and there’s no real consensus. What if I only exercise? That doesn’t cut it. You have to watch what you eat. Early success can lead to long term success. The going might get tougher, but if you had great losses in the beginning, you can probably achieve a long term loss. The higher percentage of body fat you lose means the higher chances of successful maintenance. Diet alone is not enough to maintain, you must exercise and enjoy an overall better lifestyle. Early-risers are more likely to have success losing and maintaining. Getting good sleep is associated with better weight loss outcomes. MFPers unite! Consistent calorie tracking is associated with more weight loss. Daily weigh-ins showed better long term results than other weigh-in schedules or not weighing at all.

Bibliography

I know some of this stuff might not be applicable or the best information for some people. In general, I think the best approach is whatever works for you! Thanks!

submitted by /u/boiler49
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3cal69i

No comments:

Post a Comment