Thursday, February 27, 2020

If your doctor says diet and exercise might help with a specific problem, let me inspire you

So, over a decade ago, my blood work showed my doctor that I had some kind of liver problem. I've never been much of a drinker, and there was no sign of damage; after running through some tests (I will say that having an ultrasound with the amount of hair I have on my stomach was a little weird...) it was found that I had a non-alcoholic fatty liver. Tests over the years showed no sign of improvement.

In October, we started on a weight loss regiment through our local health services department (specifically the HMR program) and although we had to quit for a variety of reasons, I went from 268 to 238 before we stopped, so 30 pounds in 3 months (plus another 10 or so after going it on my own.)

I started with a new doctor recently, so needed to have some blood work done for their records. She called me earlier this week with the results. Turns out she's a little concerned because I'm slightly anemic which is hilarious because a few weeks ago I did a "Double Red" blood donation, so my iron is good enough for my blood bank.

Anything else? Well, my good cholesterol is just a little low and my bad cholesterol is just a little high, and I told her that was hilarious because I've never had my cholesterol off by "a little" (her exact word was "just a hair" and I made her laugh saying, "Yeah, it's usually not just many hairs, it's usually multiple wigs."

Anything else? No.

There are zero signs of any kind of liver problems in my blood work.

Trust me, it's hard, and what worked for me might not work for you. But if you can stick to it, there's some situations where your doctor's advice about something specific being fixed with diet and exercise are 100% accurate and it's pretty dang awesome to hear it.

submitted by /u/svara74
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2T4TRVX

No comments:

Post a Comment