Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Here Goes!

This is a post about beginning my weight loss journey- please remove if not allowed!

I'm 25 years old, 5'7" and currently weigh 298lbs. Just short of my largest which was around 310. I've been obese my whole life. My BMI has sat in the 30s and low 40s for as long as I can remember. I live a very sedentary lifestyle and eat a lot of junky fast food and whatnot, and I've always just assumed I'd be like this for the rest of my life because it's my comfort zone and if it takes a few years off my lifespan, so be it.

Over the last year or so, though, I've been experiencing periodic chest pains and pain on my left side. I've had anxiety since college but I'd found ways to manage it for the most part; however this onset of pain caused my anxiety to spike and I started having fairly regular panic attacks. As it turned out, my blood pressure was seriously high and now I'm on meds for that.

I tried to adjust my diet many times but always found myself falling back into the trap of binge eating. It's just such a comfort for me. And I'm not the greatest cook, so the lure of eating out is a constant thing.

Now COVID 19 is happening. I'm an essential worker in a public facing job and this has wreaked havoc on my anxiety. I'm scared to death of getting it and I've had more panic attacks in the last month than I've had in a long while. I realized that I may actually become seriously ill or even die if I get it, and if I don't then it'll be a heart attack later down the line. I've never been so genuinely afraid for my health and my life.

So, today is day 5 of walking about a mile or so every day. The funny thing is I live in this amazingly beautiful place and there are hiking trails literally right behind my apartment complex. It's crazy how taxing it is even just to walk a mile, but I find myself feeling really really good and my daily walk is already becoming the highlight of my day! And I've been cooking real, good food. As much fruit and veg as possible. Still some junk here and there but I am making a conscious effort to think about everything I put in my body for the first time in a long time.

So I came here to put this all in writing in the hopes that it helps me stick to these habits. Do you guys have any tips for those days when I come home from work (I work overnights) and just don't feel like walking or making a nice healthy meal? I'm driven by fear for now lol, but I'm afraid that will only last so long.

TLDR: been obese for 20+ years, trying to find a good way to maintain a healthy lifestyle that I won't give up on.

submitted by /u/ultracookz
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3cT1OVm

No comments:

Post a Comment