Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The battle over breakfast

I grew up hearing phrases like , “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, “clear your plate because there are starving kids in Africa” or “make sure you eat everything so you can be healthy and strong.”

Then “diet culture” told me things like, “if you skip meals it will kill your metabolism”, or “breakfast jump starts your weight loss” , “when you eat breakfast your body knows when to start burning calories”.

For close to 30 years now Ive been a big believer in breakfast. l wake up and about 15min later I was eating 2 eggs on a slice of sourdough.

Quarantine has changed life up significantly. The first being my wake up routine. A couple weeks ago, I woke up and had a quick bit of work to do on my computer. So I sent out the emails and finished up what needed to be done. Then I got out of bed, did some cleaning, then did some yoga. Before I knew it it was noon and I was shocked to discover I wasn’t STARVING.

This was so new to me. It challenged one of my perceptions of food habits. I alway eat breakfast. Only “people with eating disorders skipped meals”. Yet, I skipped a meal, felt fine, and didn’t implode. And bonus , I now had more calories for a bigger lunch or dinner.

Ive skipped breakfast now almost every day this month. Im doing fine, and Im not starving. I think Im gunna break up with breakfast.

Have you guys confronted any other sayings myths or misconceptions ? What was your experience?

submitted by /u/Harveyquinn6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xgbEBs

No comments:

Post a Comment