Saturday, April 25, 2020

Advice from someone who was struggling to lose weight

Hi,

I'm not much of a browser of this forum, but I wanted to share some tips that worked for me, in the hope it will help others. I was roughly 15-20 lbs overweight. I'm under 10 lbs overweight now, with the gap closing steadily. My ideal weight is somewhere between 170-175 (male).

A big thing that worked for me was getting a small kitchen scale (cost: $10). It allowed me to see where I was accidentally overingesting calories. It turns out cereal was a major culprit--I was accidentally eating 3, 4 + servings when I thought it was one serving. You don't have to be perfect, but this allowed me to know whether I was eating meals that were 500 calories. Also, at least for me, 500 calorie meals do not entail suffering at all. It's not hard to find meals that will satiate you at 500 calories.

The other big thing was going on long walks (this is quite easy while the whole world is essentially on lockdown). They say weight is mostly lost in the kitchen, but I don't think that's true--I think it should be viewed as 50/50.

Apple's health tracker app has a very intuitive interface that lets you view your progress. Another thing I got was a ~$20 scale that gave me accurate weights. Even though you shouldn't obsessively track your weight, seeing a real trend and progress can be hugely motivating. Make sure you have a scale with good accuracy (and precision).

These changes have led to consistent weight loss and not that much suffering. I recommend (as do websites curated by health professionals) having a ~1000 calorie deficit per day (for me it was a 500 difference from my BMR of 2000 and 500 from exercise), which will lead to 2 lbs per week. If you have a different profile than me, you may need a different schedule; definitely see a medical provider.

Good luck!

submitted by /u/Status_Mushroom
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2S8F8bN

No comments:

Post a Comment