Tuesday, April 28, 2020

If you've struggled to maintain or continue weight loss during the stay at home orders

After reading so many posts and comments here (and elsewhere) about people struggling with their weight related goals during stay at home and quarantine orders, I wanted to share info that can maybe help someone out there.

I'm a woman in my late 20s, 6' tall, and weighed over 250 pounds in early January. When I went in for my annual check up, my liver enzymes and triglycerides were all super elevated. My primary care physician said it was likely due to my weight, but wanted to do an abdominal ultrasound just to make sure. Sure enough, the abdominal ultrasound came back normal. In the follow up appointment with my doctor, we had a pretty serious conversation about the necessity for me to lose some weight. She suggested that I try a prescription weight loss pill for 3 months to help kick start my weight loss and emphasized that the pill does not replace diet and exercise.

The pill I took was a lower dose of a widely recognized drug called phentermine (a stimulant, and a controlled substance). I took the lower dose 3 times daily before meals for 90 days.

The results for me were that I lost on average 2 to 2.2 pounds per week over the course of 90 days. I made sure I kept a healthy diet and ate a normal amount of calories for my height and activity levels. In the past when I had tried to lose weight, I averaged a 0.7 to 1 pound per week loss no matter how strict I was, so this does lead me to believe the prescription I was taking did give a little "boost" to the speed of my weight loss. Once the prescription came to an end, I'm now back to losing about 1 pound per week.

I know that prescription medication is not the answer for everyone, but I still wanted to share this info because it may help to talk about your weight loss struggles and goals with your doctor if you have that opportunity, once the stay at home orders are lifted. I also wanted to let you know that I was prescribed this by my primary care physician; in the past I used to think people only got weight loss pills from sketchy clinics that only cared about sales and marketing.

Also, I didn't share the brand name of my prescription here because I didn't want to advertise it or influence anyone to consider it. There are multiple different weight loss pills with different side effects, prices, dosage instructions, etc. and if it is something you want to try, then your doctor would know what would be the best route to take.

submitted by /u/milkdistrict
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3aLRjS8

No comments:

Post a Comment