Sunday, October 3, 2021

Can we just talk about ridiculous, nosy people for a minute?

Yes, this is a rant. But I think you'll find it well-deserved.

I am 36. I have two kids, 14 (son) and 12 (daughter). At 5'3", I currently weigh 240 pounds, down from well over 300. I am very clearly obese. My daughter, however, is quite thin. She's a competitive gymnast. My son, however, does need to lose weight and it's rather obvious. Consider this basic set up for the asinine situation I found myself in yesterday.

While out running errands with my kids, I decided to head to Wal-Mart. I follow a very strict 1200 calorie per day diet and sometimes struggle to even get close to that. To get calories and protein in, I use Slim Fast Advance Nutrition shakes when I'm having one of those tough days. So I loaded two boxes into my cart along with other goodies, and my kids and I went to head to a check out lane.

As we got in line, a woman came up to me. For the sake of context, I'll say that she herself was quite large and also looked as though she had lost some weight. Very excitedly, she asked, "Are those for you or your daughter?" and gestured wildly at the Slim Fast boxes. I was understandably offended that anyone would suggest that my thin 12 year old daughter would need to be on a diet, but I tamed my emotional response and said, "They are for me, but it all comes down to calories."

She responded, "My mother did Slim Fast! It really works, and you should definitely stick with it!"

The woman then proceeded to spend a solid five minutes alternately singing the praises of the Slim Fast "program" as the only true source of weight loss, questions as to why my thin, athletic daughter wasn't on it, and a couple of comments about my appearance. My son was blissfully left out of this exchange which was almost entirely one-sided as I ignored her and focused on getting checked out.

I don't even know where to begin with this. Why would anyone suggest a kid should be on Slim Fast? Why was she so fixated on myself and my daughter? Why any of it? I genuinely don't understand people. At all. WHY. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

submitted by /u/ThatNovelist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3F6vbT0

No comments:

Post a Comment