Friday, October 15, 2021

Older women in my family sabotaging me.

I lost about 25kg since mid-2019 and reached my initial goal weight in summer 2020. I started somewhere about 100 kg (pre-obesity) and am ~72 kg now. I did (and still do) 16:8 IF with sloppy calorie counting.

My same-age peers are usually reluctant to bring my weight loss up at all. They mostly only talk about it when I prompt the conversation, and then they usually just ask about my routine, admire my persistence and congratulate me on my success.

My mom used to fat-shame me a lot growing up. Even when I was a kid she liked to bring up my weight gain at family functions when she felt like I ate too much. She had some favourite talking points like "I am taller than you but you're heavier than me, something's off, don'tcha think?" She liked to make hurtful comments about my body constantly, even interrupting me mid-sentence to point out my stretchmarks or tummy fat. But she also expected me to participate in family meals and would sabotage the dieting efforts I made. I was never safe.

I also have a very complicated relationship with my MIL, but she never said anything about my body or my weight, in fact she comforted me when I opened up about the way my mom treats me at home, and expressed sympathy.

Now when I finally moved out, it took a few years for me to realize that my weight was now in MY hands and my hands alone. My past (futile) dieting efforts told me that short-term action wouldn't cut it and that I needed to make a permanent change of routines. So I adopted 16:8 IF with the intention to stick with it and establish a consistent calorie deficit. And that worked.

Both my mom and my MIL were impressed when I started looking visibly slimmer. Both "started doing" IF for themselves (very sloppily and not successfully). My mom proudly started to show around pictures of my progress to her friends and coworkers (which I found a little weird). The constant fat-shaming turned into praise for every picture I sent her. This all happened while I was still visibly overweight and far from "skinny".

Then I fell below my mother's weight. I sent her a picture of the 77 on the scale. She wrote, verbatim: "Hey, this is my comfort weight too!" (not true, she constantly tries to achieve 72 kg) and right afterwards "You can stop there!". Of course I didn't, because my goal was to be around 70. I started to notice that she tried to undermine my routines when visited. Offering me foods she knew I liked for breakfast and/or bringing out snacks on the couch when I was past my eating window. Now that I am around 72, she constantly waits for signs of me relapsing. She interprets every slight indulgence I give myself as "me becoming more lenient now". Once when I sat down next to her and the skirt I wore bulged out around the stomach, she pointed at it, and cheerily exclaimed "Heyyy, you're growing a tummy again!". When I looked at her confused and pressed the skirt flat against my actual stomach, she played it off as a joke.

Me reaching the mid-70s was also around that time when my MIL first suggested that I had lost "enough" and should consider "stopping" (note how she doesn't say "maintaining!"). She insinuated that my face had become hollow. She only knew me visibly overweight with round, chubby cheeks so I gave her a pass at first. When I actually told her my weight, she was shocked and exclaimed "that's less than me and I'm shorter than you!" (no shit, she's overweight as well). Now she apparently decided that she has to prevent me from "getting too skinny", and even though I have not had a significant drop in weight since last summer, she brings it up everytime and even tried to rope my SO into it (who remains supportive of my dieting decisions at all times). Even at my most overweight times, I have never experienced someone outside of my family being this nosy about my weight. I now have a running joke with my bf that everytime MIL comments on my weight, I will lower my goal weigt by 0.5 kilos. I like to joke about it but honestly, it's just annoying and honestly embarassing.

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences...

submitted by /u/lily_hunts
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YTLH8s

No comments:

Post a Comment