Monday, September 16, 2024

It Can Be Done: Six Months of Managing CICO

M36, 5’8”, SW: 255, CW: 209, GW: 185? 175?

Hello, all. I’ve been looking forward to making this post. When I started on 3/15 of this year to get serious about my weight loss, I was daunted to say the least. I knew I had 50+ pounds to lose before I could even think about pursuing a lot of what I wanted to do in the second chapter of my life. I thought that level of weight loss would take years that would run out the remainder of my relative youth. I felt a lot of shame having gone from a fit guy in his early 20s with the confidence that brings to being morbidly obese and deeply unhappy with the way I looked and felt, not to mention my weight holding back progress on managing the intense grief I feel from having lost my wife to cancer two years ago. I can’t fully blame personal tragedy for the state of my health. I had bad habits for many years. I have forgiven myself for my actions during both periods and resolved to simply start losing the weight. As an only parent to a toddler, I knew I couldn’t allow myself to succumb to an early heart attack and orphan my son. As a widower seeking a second chapter of love, I simply wasn’t attractive and wasn’t going to get the opportunity to form connections at that weight.

Here’s where I am, 181 days later:

https://imgur.com/a/uNhKMVl

https://imgur.com/a/CbI3vTL

https://imgur.com/a/3ttFP4B

I have lost in six months what I thought would take two years or longer. While I’m not satisfied with where I am, I am ecstatic with my progress. I aim for a 750 calorie deficit per day, although I regularly fail. in fact, my calorie logging indicates I’ve eaten, in total, at maintenance over six months! Clearly, my TDEE and restaurant calorie assumptions are pretty conservative. I chalk this up to decent genetics (my siblings are pretty fit with some effort) and residual effects of intense weight training when I was younger. Except for an occasional long swim or Peloton ride, I’ve taken a long walk almost every day. I average just shy of 10,000 steps per day. That’s nearly 500 miles further than what I would have walked without making the effort consciously.

I have at least another 25 pounds to lose, if not more. I’m beginning the Jim Wendler 5/3/1 weight lifting plan as suggested by the r/Fitness community. Meeting both my strength and weight loss goals means I have probably another 12 months of activity ahead of me before I can enjoy any form of long-term maintenance.

If you’re like me, you went searching for the success story of someone with similar starting characteristics to convince yourself this is possible. Well, it is. Just get started.

submitted by /u/CashMaster76
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/18msNR2

No comments:

Post a Comment