Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Feeling some hate since weight loss

Hi all! Long time lurker, recent commenter, and this is my first post. This is more of a vent than seeking advice but any and all feedback is always welcome. Knowing myself, this will likely be long but I'll put a TLDR at the bottom.

When I was at my heaviest, I would get comments dismissing my ailments, medical conditions, or being sick. Even when I had random wounds that would keep reopening or take a while to heal. The comments would consist of my health issues being an excuse to not do better and these people diagnosing me with diabetes. The comments always felt like attacks but I did my best to just shrug them off because I knew they were wrong and my medical record at the time was proof of that.

In January of this year, I weighed myself for the first time in a long time and saw that I weighed 301 lbs. It's the heaviest I had ever been and I had always told myself that 300 lbs would be a hard limit that I can never allow myself to go over. So obviously this shocked me into wanting to take action. My mental health being in a better place, I started to do a lot of research into making lifestyle changes because whenever I'd go on a diet or strict workout regimen, I'd just bounce right back up. I didn't want that to happen again and I wanted it to be more permanent. So I knew that before I did anything else, I had to face my issues with food and over eating.

In April, I weighed in at 296 lbs and I truly started trying to lose weight. I slowly started to take things out over time and incorporating whole foods. I completely stopped eating out, which I used to do a lot, and I would keep my drinks to water, sugar free soda, and orange juice. With those slow and gradual changes (they didn't all happen at once), I had lost 40 lbs by the end of June. Some people started to notice but no one said anything. They wouldn't mention my weight at all, or that I looked different. It's not like I was fishing for or expecting compliments, I would never even mention I was trying to lose weight and I was mostly still eating whatever I wanted as long as it was home made, but I noticed the negative comments from before had somewhat stopped and I found the combo of the two just odd enough for me to notice.

At the end of June/early July, I had a medical setback. I won't mention it as it's a bit graphic. During that time I gained 13 lbs back. I got that taken care of through treatment that immediately made me lose 5 lbs the moment the problem was gone, and since I was already getting treatment for one thing, I decided to get a check up for my PCOS and metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. Everything there was still essentially the same, but the doctor did say I needed to try to get a handle on my conditions and that I should keep losing weight because that would make it better. I got prescribed medication to help with both conditions, which came with it's own graphic side effect that is now resolved, and my blood work showed I was where expected in the areas affected by my medical conditions but that I was doing much better than expected as far as blood glucose and everything else went. The blood work did show that I was only deficient in proteins and everything else was good.

At that point, it was already nearing the end of July, so I kept up taking my treatments and I incorporated as much information on health as I had gathered into my meal planning. I started intermittent fasting, I learned about macros and paid serious attention to that, I set macro goals and have been learning how to meet them. What to eat and what not to eat. I kept a sedentary lifestyle and consumed anywhere between 600-1300 calories during my eating windows which kept me at a 1000-1500 calorie deficit. I didn't want to do more than 1000 but it's just how it happened sometimes. At first balancing macros was really hard for me because it was a lot of food, but over time, I learned what to combine to make it work and now I'm at a steady 1200-1300 calories. Which is still about a 1000 calorie deficit for me. I have not yet incorporated exercise because I wanted to make sure I could learn how to eat right before I jumped into physical fitness as I thought that would be easier for me and I wanted to get the hard part, food, out of the way first. Wanted to master a good handle on it before exercising.

Well, it's been about a month of that now. I lost about 18 lbs for a total of 55+ lbs since the start of the year. It's been a few days since I weighed myself so it could be more than 55 lbs by now.

My weight loss journey, specifically the last month, has been under medical supervision. My doctors check in on me, my progress, and how I'm feeling. Before I went to the doctor, my weight loss was due to small changes that meant I was no longer having super high calorie foods. I was so big, and eating so much fatty take out that those first few months it was very easy to drop the weight once I took those out. I still wasn't eating healthy so it would have eventually stopped. Now that I'm actually eating better and limiting my intake, the weight loss is quickly picking back up despite still living a fully sedentary lifestyle.

Now, the weight loss is a lot more noticeable. I get comments that I'm losing weight too fast and they sound kind of snotty. I'm told I'm just gonna blimp back up like before and get even bigger. From people who haven't seen me in a while and don't realize I've been losing weight since I don't really mention it, still sometimes give me the typical comment of my medical conditions are just an excuse. I do my best not to let these comments affect me and, honestly, my fiancé has been super supportive this whole time so he has been my rock when dealing with people like this.

I don't know if it's just me but they seem hateful and I don't really understand them. First they criticized me, my conditions, and being obese going as far as to diagnose me with diabetes when I'm not diabetic and they're not doctors. And now I'm losing too much weight too fast according to them, despite being under medical supervision and the doctors saying I'm good and to keep it up, and are essentially saying I'll just fail again like the times I went on fad diets and beachbody workouts in the past. The insane part to me is that I am still very much obese at 5'3" and weighing in the 240s (last weigh-in was 245.6 lbs). I'm eating a lot so it's not like if I'm starving and even if I was, I likely have over 50% body fat so my body has plenty to take from.

I don't want to waste much of my breath on these people. Is there anything quick/witty I could respond to get them to fuck off or do I just keep ignoring them? Huh, guess I did want some advice lol.

TLDR: People gave hateful comments when I was at my heaviest saying I'm diabetic, use being sick and my medical conditions as an excuse instead of doing better and working out or going on a diet. Now that I've lost about 55+ lbs and am under medical supervision during my weight loss journey that is doctor approved, but am still obese, they're saying that I'm losing weight too fast and that I'll just blimp back up like the times I went on fad diets in the past, and they keep saying I use my medical conditions as an excuse. Not sure what these people want from me but I don't understand them and their comments just seem hateful to me. Not sure if it's just me that sees it that way. Would appreciate any tips on quick/witty ways to respond to get them to back off or if I should just keep ignoring them.

Thanks for reading!!! Wishing you all the best on your own journey!

submitted by /u/Katimar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/r2N8Eeg

No comments:

Post a Comment