Saturday, September 14, 2024

Planning for eating out: an example

This question gets asked often: "what do I do if I'm going to a restaurant? Do I just not go? How do I plan for it?"

I'm going to Outback Steakhouse tonight for a friend's dinner and this is how I'm planning. For context: my TDEE is around 2122 and my calorie target is currently 1622 for a deficit of 500 calories and one pound per week of weight loss.

Outback publishes nutrition info for all its foods, so that's a bonus. This won't always be the case but there are plenty of other posts that talk about what to do in that situation. I'm going to focus simply on going to restaurants where nutrition information is available.

Even with the nutrition info available, I'm not going to take them totally at their word. I'm going to leave a little padding and still enjoy myself.

To begin with, I skipped breakfast. Normally I don't do this, but dinner will have a lot of calories and I have to account for that . I basically made lunch into breakfast and added some turkey for extra protein at low calorie cost. Lunch:

  • 1/2 cup Catalina Crunch protein cereal
  • 1/2 cup Ripple milk (plant-based protein milk)
  • 70g raspberries added to the cereal
  • 2 slices oven roasted turkey breast

The total for this is 229 calories, with 28g protein and 13.5g fiber.

At dinner, I wanted to really enjoy myself and have something I've been wanting to try. No appetizers or desserts:

  • Bloomin' Fried Chicken (970 calories)
  • Loaded baked potato (340 calories)
  • Asparagus (60 calories)
  • Diet coke

This brings dinner to 1370 calories, and calories for the day to 1599, which is 23 calories below my goal. 23 isn't a huge padding but I'm happy with this overall. I will prob have them leave the sour cream off the baked potato to save a little more.

In any case, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. This is one way to eat out without just ditching your CICO plan and eating some tasty "cheat food" without cheating.

submitted by /u/jrico59
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8eZirQx

No comments:

Post a Comment