Wednesday, January 15, 2020

1 year of weight loss - 90lbs lost!

TL;DR: Progress pictures of my 90lb weight loss in the past 365 days going from 295lbs to 204.8lbs. 95% of it is due to portion control (CICO) along with some healthy decisions. I've gone from being "obese" to just "overweight" and by July of this year I plan to be a "healthy weight".

On January 15th 2019 I weighed in at 295lbs, officially making me an "obese" 18 year old. Today, January 15th 2020 I'm happy to announce I weigh 204.8lbs, officially making me just an "overweight" 19 year old having lost 90lbs. I turn 20 in July of this year and I plan on smashing my goal weight of 175lbs and being in the healthy weight range. I plan on focusing on getting fit this year so that I have new things to focus on after I lose all the weight.

I've been weighing myself every week since I started in January 2019, and even started weighing myself daily in November 2019 and I've also been taking progress pictures every month and a whole bunch of other pictures including selfies so I have plenty of proof of my journey. I'd like to share some of them today:

How I lost the weight

For me losing weight has been 95% CICO. I haven't committed to any specific diet or eating behaviour, simply focusing on eating less. Last year I bought a food scale to weight all my food and logged it using MyFitnessPal. Over 2019 I made more and more health conscious decisions like cutting out sugary drinks, dramatically cutting back on fast food and quitting the unhealthy snacks. My mother, this community and the MyFitnessPal community have been a huge help to me, constantly providing me with advice and guidance whilst also being incredibly supportive - thank you all.

I'm not a beliver in fad diets, sure you can lose weight but I don't think you're likely to keep it off forever. The way I see it your weight, your fat, your body is just a physical reflection of your lifestyle, which currently is promoting weight gain. You want to focus on changing your habits and your lifestyle to one that promotes weight loss or weight maintenance at your desired weight. Weight loss is essentially 100% diet but realistically having an overall healthy lifestyle with healthy eating and exercise is only going to help advance your goals and make it sustainable.

The truth is, there's nothing special or unique about me that allowed me to do this. I've been slowly gaining weight since I was probably 8 years old, that's the majority of my life. I tried to seriously lose weight once when I was about 15 but it was doing SlimFast which wasn't sustainable and I ended up gaining about ~90lbs in the following 3 years - but now I'm in it for the long haul. I know it's cliche but if I can do it, so can you. There are genuine reasons why people struggle to lose weight but I think for the majority of us it's really just about our habits and discipline, it'll take time, it won't always be easy and you'll definietly make mistakes but you just need to forgive yourself and keep going.

How my life has changed in the past year

Put simply I am a much better version of myself. Not because I'm skinner, but because every day I am making decisions and commitments to improve my life. I take care of my body now, instead of damaging it. I feel good looking in the mirror and at pictures, instead of avoiding the camera. I've always loved myself but only now am I truly proud of myself. I'm much happier now, I'm more optimistic and more positive. Physically I feel much better. I no longer have any sort of aches and pains from just existing, I'm a lot lighter, I'm more flexible and I don't get out of breath nearly as quickly. I'm more fit than I was and improving every day.

Here's a list of more specific changes I've logged:

  • Shirt/jacket sizes gone from 2XL to L
  • Trouser sizes gone from 42" to 34"
  • Neck measurement gone from 17.5" to 15"
  • Waist measurement gone from 47.5" to 38"
  • Hips measurement gone from 53.5" to 46.5"
  • Chest measurement gone from 43.5" to 40"
  • Upper arm, forearm, thigh and calf measurements have also decreased by 1" to 2" plus
submitted by /u/chrisd848
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NoWPl5

No comments:

Post a Comment