Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A seven year journey...

This is what seven years on My Fitness Pal looks like...

I’ve never posted on here before but I wanted to share this with a like-minded community. I started my fitness journey on My Fitness Pal over seven years ago and this is what that journey looked like. I have been overweight my entire life and never learned healthy eating habits as a child. At my highest recorded weight, I was 252 lbs at 5’7”.

When I first started tracking here, I was in my senior year at college. My only responsibilities were my classes and my internship—and some of those classes were senior fitness electives like Zumba, Weight-Training, and Yoga. I was eating 1100 calories a day and had mostly replaced eating with napping. I still ate whatever I wanted (mostly), and I still went out with my friends, but I rarely ever went above 1100 calories. In hindsight, this was probably not very healthy, but it was effective. I lost over 90 lbs in a year. My lowest weight was 157.6 lbs. I maintained that weight loss for about a year and I’ve spent the last five years or so gaining and losing the same 30 lbs.

Today I’m at the highest weight I’ve been in seven years. What you see here is the weight I’ve gained and lost, but what you don’t see here are the career changes, the apartment moves, the heartbreaks, the joys, the stresses, the traveling, the parties, the holidays, and all that goes into a life fully lived. I want to recommit to focusing on my health because I know that I’m worth the effort, and to be honest, I’m tired of my pants not fitting. But mostly, I wanted to remind you (and myself) that this is a journey. It’s easy to be kind to ourselves at the high points, but not so easy when we’re feeling low. My journey with my body has been one of self-acceptance and ultimately, self-love. I've struggled with low self-esteem, binge-eating, and depression--all of those feelings and behaviors were rooted in shame about food and my body. I've had to learn how to have a positive relationship with my body. I know the value of eating well and exercising because I know it’s good for my physical and mental wellbeing. But so is loving myself, because my worth and my life are not defined by a number on a scale. My life has been defined by the lows and the highs, and all the wonderful people I’ve met and the memories I’ve made along the way.

Be kind to yourself as you work (or don’t work) on your fitness goals today. This is your journey and I hope you show yourself love at every stage along the way.

My username is knowyouronion6 if you want a new MFP friend!

submitted by /u/Kn0wY0ur0ni0n6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/30oulNy

No comments:

Post a Comment