Saturday, January 18, 2020

Best Unexpected Side Effects

I used to run back in school, until I injured my knee one summer, and since I didn't have insurance at the time, I never saw a doctor about it. After a couple weeks of staying off it, it only hurt when I walked on stairs, so I just avoided stairs for years, and quit exercising, putting on 80-ish extra pounds over the next 6 years.

Since graduating, I've finally gotten a good job with good insurance, and had a doctor take a look, only for him to advise that weight loss would be the first step I needed to take. I've lost 25 pounds since August, and took the stairs at work yesterday. The elevator on my side of the building was out of order, and I didn't have the time to walk to the other side and back before my shift started.

It didn't hurt. It still doesn't hurt today, no tingling, soreness, or joint pain. I realize it was just 1 flight of stairs but I haven't been able to do more than 2-3 individual stairs in YEARS without intense pain, not to mention the winded, out of shape feeling I always felt.

I also noticed that when I'm getting into our pantry, which is a small walk-in with an extremely narrow door, like 2/3's the size of a normal size door, I no longer brush both doorframes.

At my yearly physical in January, my blood pressure and bloodwork numbers were all within normal/healthy ranges, and I'm no longer pre-diabetic or have high cholesterol.

No matter how much the scale changes, the number doesn't mean half as much to me as these little life benefits. I didn't even realize how positive of an impact fitting throw a doorway or being able to take stairs was going to have on me.

What little non-scale victories have made more of a difference than you expected? Are you driven more by feeling better overall or seeing the number on the scale go down?

submitted by /u/Benched_Valkyrie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/367bUOL

No comments:

Post a Comment