Saturday, January 18, 2020

I need help supporting my husbands weight loss

My husband topped out at 325 lbs and we had a serious discussion about his weight. I told him that he had to start taking care of himself because I did not want to stick around and watch him die. He took it to heart and initially lost 30 lbs but he’s been stagnant for the past two years. In the meantime, he’s been dealing with anxiety and depression and after a LOT of back and forth he has reached out to friends and professionals and has a support network that isn’t just me for the first time. He’s been steadily losing weight now and he’s at 290 lbs.

I am very proud of him, I tell him every day how proud I am. But now I have a problem that I’m hoping you can help me with. He keeps talking about how certain foods or situations “trigger” him and I’m struggling to empathize and it’s causing tension that he cant handle.

For example, this morning we woke up and he offered to get us all bagels (we have three small children). He got back and was panicking because bagels are a trigger food so he went to the grocery store to get himself fruit and vegetables to eat and was gone for almost two hours. Normally, that wouldn’t bother me but me and the baby are sick and the other two kids were fighting and making a mess of the house and I needed my husband to be home already. I yelled at him over the phone, which I shouldn’t have done, I let my temper get the best of me, and now he’s hurt and even more anxious and it’s my fault.

Reddit, could you help me out? Is there any advice you can give me as the spouse of a man who needs to lose over 100 lbs and is battling his demons at the same time? We have kids that need their father, I need my husband, and I don’t know how to approach this situation anymore. When I was being gentle with him, he got extremely overweight. When I finally put my foot down, and I wasn’t very nice about it, it finally motivated him to make some positive changes. But now that he’s on an upward trajectory, what do I do? I hope someone out there can help. Thank you for reading all this.

TLDR: my husband has to lose a lot of weight and I don’t know how best to support him.

submitted by /u/anon5912
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/30ARKeB

No comments:

Post a Comment