Saturday, January 18, 2020

I am a habitual liar. Here's a list of lies I've stopped telling myself.

In an effort to make them more real by writing them down I'm putting them here.
My every previous attempt at weight loss has included a lot of lies. All of them to myself and generally learned one-by-one the hard way. Here's a list in no particular order:
1. Of the three different systems I have estimating calories for energy expenditure it's OK to assume the most generous one is right (for cycling I've got Garmin connected to Strava connected to MFP and they're all different)
2. I can "earn" a bottle of wine by running for an hour and this all will balance out
3. It's all food and exercise doesn't matter
4. There is a shortcut method that I can use by eating in a particular way that will help in a way more significant than just giving me a structure to help me eat less
5. I will make up for [insert slip up here] later, therefore allowing me to pretend that I didn't fall off the wagon and avoid the mental hardship of getting back on it
6. Well-meaning friends and co-workers are right when they say I've either lost enough weight or didn't need to in the first place (I'm very tall, it does things to people's perspective)
7. My metabolism is in some way unique or special
8. A minor slip-up writes off the day/week
9. A major slip-up writes off the month/year
10. Anyone cares what I look like exercising
11. Alcohol is metabolised differently and therefore I should only count half of the calories
12. A friend's birthday, leaving celebration, dinner party, invitation to the cinema etc is a good enough reason to eat as much as I like
13. My own birthday, or Christmas is a good reason to eat as much as I like
14. That "as much as I like" actually means "as much as I can"
15. That this time I will have a couple of pints and won't eat stupidly afterwards
16. That turning down invitations for a few months will cause huge problems
17. That I will learn to find all this easy soon enough and I only need to pay attention until that happens.

And finally, the greatest one of them all: That at any single point there is a food or drink I want more than I want to lose the weight I've been carrying with me, shamefully, for the last 30 years.

I'm sure there'll be an element of controversy to some of these, but for me this is where I'm at. Feel free to add your own! I might still be doing it and it'd be good to catch some of the others!

submitted by /u/isitmeaturlooking4
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/366l11Z

No comments:

Post a Comment