Sunday, January 19, 2020

Learning to go slow

Hi there - I’m learning to be slow and consistent as opposed to extreme in my weight loss method , and I’m having a hard time battling the need to be extreme in my workouts. I’m curious about stories and examples from people’s past about how taking it slow led to big results.

Here is some of my background to help explain: - former college athlete (crew) in a highly competitive but mentally unhealthy program - gained and lost ~40 pounds about 3x over throughout my 20s.
- exercise was hard for me because I had a lot of unhealthy reactions from my college days. - I also would do unsustainable programs , like going from nothing to “biggest loser” competitions while working over full time at a high pressure job and volunteering 8-10 hours a week.

I’ve found weight loss success through small diet changes and am feeling pretty good and excited about the idea that I don’t have to be miserable and socially disconnected.

However , I can’t shake the feeling that I’m not doing enough in fitness. For example , I have a peloton bike and I love it. I usually do 20 minute workouts , but wonder if I am just being lazy and I “should “ do the 45?

If I keep saying 20 minutes is enough / 20 minutes is what I have the energy for ... will I ever build the strength and endurance to do 45 minutes? How do I tell the difference between “listening to what I need “ and “excuses”?

I’m inspired by the stories of people who started out just walking around a block and then a year later are jogging their first 10k. I feel like if I keep saying “the beginner class is fine “ and “10 pounds instead of 12 or 15 is fine” , I’ll never get there. At the same time , I recognize killing myself also will never get me there.

submitted by /u/Summertime918
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uc7Mjh

No comments:

Post a Comment