Thursday, January 2, 2020

Why is it so hard to beat food cravings?

A friend made me mad a couple of days ago when we were having dinner together. I went to enter the meal and dessert calories into my app, and she remarked that I am overdoing the whole diet thing and that this obsessive behavior is not healthy. Well, I'm sorry, but a couple hundred calories makes the difference in whether I will stagnate at my current weight which is over 10 kg more than I would like it to be (I'm a 173 cm tall female, currently weighing in at 82 kg) or lose it. It always riles me up when people act like it's no big deal to just eat less - apparently they have never had a food craving like mine.

I get these cravings mostly in the evening - usually I want something carby like oatmeal, pizza, sweets, bread… It's like an itch that needs scratching. No, actually it's like waiting for a guy to text. You keep obsessively checking your phone and thinking of reasons why he hasn't texted and you keep asking your friends "Why hasn't he texted?", and you know you are being ridiculous, but you cannot help it. People tell you "don't think about him" or "you shouldn't care so much, it's just a text" or they tell you to find something else to do and distract yourself.

Honestly, it's the same thing with the food cravings. I had one of them just last night - I ate my dinner and I wasn't hungry - but I really wanted to have some oatmeal. I knew I could fit it in my calories for the day, but I felt bad for wanting to eat when I am obviously not hungry. For 2 hours I resisted and then said whatever and I had a small bowl of oatmeal. It was yummy!

Then I started craving pizza and ice cream. Now this was definitely not a part of my meal plan. I was at my daily calorie cap and I kept thinking that if I asked my BF to drive me to this 24/7 pizza place where I could stuff myself with it until I was sick, he would. It was 9 PM at this point and I decided to instead distract myself. We watched the Witcher, then we watched Our Planet while I was coloring my anti-stress coloring books. I watched Youtube videos about weight loss. I checked Reddit. I went on a 30 min walk into the freezing night. I did the laundry, I cleaned the dishes and by 11 PM I felt like punching someone really hard because, following my little analogy, "he still hasn't texted" (read: I still wanted to eat really bad) and I was going crazy. I ended up devouring an entire pomelo (one of those big citrus fruits) and a bowl of homemade popcorn and then I finally got sleepy and went to bed.

This morning I wake up, I go to crossfit and I am thinking on my way there - "Where did my craving go? How come yesterday it was driving me crazy for almost six hours and now I couldn’t give a damn about any pizza?"

It is so crazy to think how completely unable I am to function when I get into one of these moods and I have no idea what causes them or how to make the craving stop without giving in. I can be good for a week and then suddenly boom! Now you have to have pasta alfredo or you will die.

How do you guys deal with cravings?

submitted by /u/Sassineri
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MLW30X

No comments:

Post a Comment