Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Don’t focus exclusively on the scale!

I (44F) started changing the way I thought about and ate food in January 2019. (CICO <1900 calories a day and absolutely zero exercise)

I hit 50 pounds lost over the summer and got my next tattoo as a reward. Things settled into kind of a routine and the pounds weren’t falling off as quickly and I was getting frustrated. I hit 75 pounds lost by Thanksgiving and got my next piercing. I told my piercer that it was a weight loss reward & she asked when I started & how much I’d lost. I said it had been 11 months and “I’ve only lost 75 pounds” and she looked at me like I’d farted in church.

I realized I’d been looking at it as “I still have so far to go” and haven’t paid enough attention to the rear view mirror.

Since then I’ve “only” lost another 7 pounds, but I’ve also paid more attention elsewhere: My ID badge for work hits my waistband now and I might have to be one of those people that have to tie a knot in it to keep it visible. I can fit my arms inside the arms of my desk chair while seated now I can’t tell mine and my husband’s jeans apart by eyeballing size now & MAY have put 2 pair of my jeans in his dresser last week. A friend saw my ID badge picture (taken 2 months before I started eating better) and was amazed at the difference in my face

It’s hard to change the way I think about it. I’ve lost 82 pounds total and I’m just now at the starting weight of a lot of other people here. People have definitely noticed the weight loss, but most folks that ask what diet plan I use lose interest as soon as I say “calories in-calories out” and don’t have a fancy fad diet name. What are you gonna do, right?

Whether you’ve “only” lost 5 pounds or 82 pounds or 150 pounds, you’ve worked hard and succeeded in doing a thing that a lot of folks don’t, won’t, or can’t do and you should take a moment to pat yourself on the back. Thank you for coming to my TED talk, y’all.

submitted by /u/leaess
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/38ji54a

No comments:

Post a Comment