Thursday, August 27, 2020

[Century Club] August 27, 2020 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous topics: Exercise - Denial - Headwinds - Streaks - Other People - Toolkit - Breaks - Support - Clothing - The Unexpected - Self-image - How do you end your journey? - What made it click? - Loose Skin


Today's prompt: Health

Did any underlying health conditions contribute to your decision to undertake your weight loss journey? If so, how's that going?

For me, I suffered from three significant chronic conditions in my life as a fat man. High Blood Pressure, Asthma and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Type II Diabetes runs in the family and my blood sugar was often borderline, and my cholesterol levels were also bordering on high. Neither required treatment, but I was warned several times about them over the 3 decades I was fat.

Since I started my journey my blood sugar and cholesterol levels have been in the normal range and I have not needed my asthma inhaler. (I did fall miserably ill with the flu in the winter of 2018 so it hasn't prevented me from getting sick.)

The great thing is that I seem to have been able to get off CPAP. I was on it for over a decade, and snored up a storm well before that. I feel better now sleeping without it than I ever did when I needed it, and boy did I need it. I don't fall asleep on the couch just watching TV on a regular basis and if I get enough sleep I really feel refreshed. I still track my snoring using an app and generally it's well managed.

Once things really calm down w.r.t Coronavirus, I'm going to try and see if I can get off the HBP drugs I'm on, and have been on since the mid-90s. If I really want to make this a priority I'll probably have to get a BlueTooth cuff and measure my blood pressure with the same regularity as I measure my weight and track my fitness activities.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though, but I don't know if either of these are a result of or aggravated by my weight loss. I now suffer from tinnitus even though I have no measurable hearing loss, and I've got some arthritis in my left shoulder and right hip that can be annoying at times. All in all not bad for my 53 years on this planet.

What about you Centurion? What role has your general health played in your journey? What's better now? What's not?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2D5glBb

No comments:

Post a Comment