Thursday, August 27, 2020

Need advice on how to maintain my diet while my friend doesn't stick to hers!

TL:DR I'm trying to lose weight but my best friend uses my house as her binge factory which screws with my very fresh outlook on eating.

Hey everybody! First time posting, but I've lurked here for many years while my weight slowly climbed to 180 in college (5'3 ish, 23F). It sucks to see, but I've accepted it as the natural consequence of having a really unhealthy relationship with food and with myself.

Either way, I promised myself I'd never get to 200. I carry my weight really well and most wouldn't guess I'm 180, but I'm teetering on an edge. Anyway, I've really started cracking on my "diet" and have been making some really amazing changes to my eating that I'm really proud of. It's been a struggle for years, and I finally feel like I'm learning how to have a healthy relationship with food.

So the problem. My best friend of 12 years is also overweight, and we have about the same amount to lose and actively talk about our relationships with food and our goals/ how we want to get there. We see each other a LOT as she's my only safe covid buddy, and for the most part, we encourage each other to make good choices, exercise, and be healthy overall.

However, while I've recently been riding this wave of excellent eating and occasional divine moments of fitness, she has not. Before you assume anything, I absolutely don't expect her to! Our weight loss journeys are separate, and we only want to support each other. The only problem is when she comes to my house (the only safe place for us to really be) she will order a bunch of food - chips, ice cream, chocolate, lots of alcohol - things I really love. Of course I eat them, I'm just an overgrown monkey with feelings and a long history of overeating out of boredom/comfort, but when I've had a great day of eating and I'm on track for my calorie limit and macros, it's so incredibly discouraging when I follow that up with an entire bag of flavor blasted goldfish.

We have joked (talked very seriously, but we laugh about it so it's a good time) that we enable each other's bad habits, and need to change that if we want to see each other as much as we do and still lose weight. I won't ask her to change her diet because I'm not a monster. But when I express to her that her binging at my house sucks me in (which is my fault, not hers) she expresses sympathy, acknowledges that she shouldn't be doing that anyway, but then continues to do it, and sometimes I feel like she encourages me to do the same.

I've started cooking large amounts of really healthy food and buying healthy snacks like carrots and grapes and shit and I tell her that what's in my fridge is as good as hers, but she still says, "let's get taco bell, or snacks, or two bottles of wine" and like.... I'm at a loss. I don't want to make her feel bad, but I NEED to lose this weight because I know I can. Help?? Has anyone dealt with this before? (Sorry for the long post)

submitted by /u/thebootyspeaks
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3gxYO2i

No comments:

Post a Comment