Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Dealing with idiots

Okay... The term "idiot" is being harsh.

I just had a frustrating conversation with someone who firmly believes you can only lose weight by increasing your exercise.

Now let's be honest here, it bloody helps. The more you burn, the better your weight loss will be assuming you are consuming an appropriate amount of calories. However no matter how I phrased it, how much I tried to explain the laws of thermodynamics, cal in vs cal out, "you can't out run your fork" I was met with, "yeah but unless you start doing cardio and getting out of breath you won't lose weight".

The person in question has lost 10kg since taking a warehouse job over the last 4 months. Previously they had a moderately active job as a joiner and shop fitter. The major change has been that they now work a night shift and eat 2 small meals during their shift instead of a large pizza and 2 side (and many beers) every night, on top of whatever crappy food they got from the food wagon each day.

I let their diatribe go on for a while, then questioned how, if they were correct, how they had lost 10kg in 4 months through "only increased exercise" vs my 6kg loss over 2 months purely by diet changes.

There was a moments peace. Bliss.

Then they took a minor backtrack and said I'd only see "real results" if I also upped my exercise.

Le sigh.

Carry on with what works for you my fellow losers. Ignore the "idiots". We have got this and will win the war!

(I ended the convo by telling him that a "well done" would be better and if he expected me to still be willing to marry him he should stfu and let me get on with my own damn business!)

submitted by /u/Trusting_Nautilus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2G4sckd

No comments:

Post a Comment