Tuesday, August 31, 2021

How genetics make you fat

I've seen a lot of posts in this sub about how daily habits are the key to weight loss and how it isn't all about genetics and you are right. But recently I've read up on how genetics can make someone more prone to obesity, and it's really helped me understand my brain and body when it comes to food behaviours and weight loss and I thought it was worth sharing here.

(Disclaimer: I'm just a person reading academic papers and trying to wrap my head around them. There are lots of people out there that have a much better understanding than me and I will happily be corrected on any mistakes.)

The main gene out there that's been clearly linked to obesity is the FTO gene. You get two copies - one from each of your parents - and I recently found out that both of mine put me at a high-risk for obesity (thanks mum and dad!).

I'm not obese. I have a BMI that sits about 25 ish (borderline overweight) but I do feel like I'm constantly counting calories and fighting to keep it there. I wanted to find out what this FTO gene is about and if it means that I am genetically destined to become obese one day.

I found out that currently... they don't know. Scientists aren't sure what about this gene makes people, on average, 3kg heavier and 1.67 times more likely to become obese. But they have some useful ideas and one in particular resonated with me.

People with both copies of the high risk FTO gene have higher ghrelin levels, even after they have finished a meal. Ghrelin is the thing that makes you hungry, so effectively, they need to overeat to feel full. Also, they find pictures of calorie dense foods more appealing after eating when others don't, and they tend towards higher fat foods when selecting from a buffet which results in consuming 100-200 calories more.

My immediate reaction was that this gene sucks and that I can never have that happy full feeling after a meal. But now knowing that, it's a lot easier to turn down snacks or desserts after a meal that I used to reach for to "feel full" when I know that "feeling full" really means overeating. I've had a lot easier time sticking to my calorie goal because of it. I've also switched out some high fat and high sugar foods and added in more protein and that definitely helps.

Genetics is important, but there are plenty of obese people that don't have the high risk FTO gene and plenty of healthy weight people that do. It's not the be all, end all, and daily healthy habits and exercise are the biggest determinants of weight. But for me, it's helped me be more conscious of how my body is and how it works.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far, and if you are interested, I found this out using the CRI Genetics Ancestry + Traits DNA kit. In their database (probably has some inherent biases) ~15% of people have both high risk FTO genes, ~47% have one and ~37% have both low risk.

TLDR: Genetics impacts weight partly because your body is telling you to eat more. You don't have to listen to it.

Sources:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Fat-Mass-and-Obesity-Associated-Gene-(FTO).aspx.aspx)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2020.559138/full#B87

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/675.short

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/90/5/1418/4598172?login=true

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/90/6/1483/4598063?login=true

submitted by /u/suze23
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2WF8T9E

No comments:

Post a Comment