Tuesday, August 31, 2021

When after you mess up a little you get the urge to "may as well mess up all the way".

I replied to someone's comment and that reply got surprising amount of prise so maybe it's useful on its own merit for some here.

It's very easy to fall into a trap of I fucked up a bit may as well fuck all the way. I think we have all been there. We couldn't eat healthy at lunch time so fuck it may as well make the most out of it and have extra helping of pudding and pint of beer.

I has changed for me when I started to treat weight loss/ healthy weight maintenance as any other selfcare activity.

If I was to fall asleep without brushing my teeth in the evening, I would not wake up thinking "Well I have fucked it last night may as well not bother brushing today either".

If I had too much too drink on the weekend, I would not wake up thinking "Well that is it time to chug that wine till next Friday I suppose". Nor when I start getting really drunk on a night out would I think to myself "May as well keep drinking until I pass out".

If I went to bed too late, I would not think to myself "I guess 3am is a new bed time from now on".

Every time I fuck up a bit food wise and I have a urge to fuck up all the way, I now stop sit down take couple of breaths and think "Okay so I had a bigger dinner than I have have planned for, I went over by 300 kcal, time to stop now and continue for the rest of a day like nothing happen". I no longer stop to think "well may as well have ice cream, bottle of beer and order pizza for supper" it doesn't help me and I wouldn't do it for anything else so why do it here?

As with everything little fuck ups happen, we are only human. You don't need to be perfect, you just need to be good enough. We are not exercising at olympic level here, we can be suboptimal. What is important is to snap out from those little fuck ups and just move one.

I remember reading once a story about guy who got his spine broken in car accident. He stepped on a road and car nearly hit him. Rather than stepping back. he turned around and swore at the driver. At this point second car that was driving just behind a speeding driver smashed into him and broke his spine.

His first mistake of stepping on a road didn't injure him. It was his second mistake of not stepping back but shouting that cost him his ability to walk. You can make first mistake, just don't stay there long enough to make a second or third one.

OP I was replying was eating under stress here is how I would tackle it but can be translated to anything.

If you eat when stressed recognise it. Okay you had extra helping because you felt stressed. Recognise it, recognise your stressed. That was your first mistake. Rather than letting it slide into your 2nd mistake, your course of action should be then to reassess, step back and plan for the rest of a day. You now know you are stressed and it will lead to eating more what are you going to put in place to avoid it? You can't help feeling stressed but you can help what you eat. Are you going to plan a menu for the rest of a day, so you know exactly what you will have for lunch and dinner? Are you going to pop to shop, pick up bunch of fruit and maybe carrot sticks and keep those near your desk so when you feel like snacking you can snack on those instead? You made a first mistake, don't make a second one that is all you need to do to stay on track.

submitted by /u/Mustard_The_Colonel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2WDNJss

No comments:

Post a Comment