Tuesday, August 24, 2021

I was running today and a regular on my path told me that "It's just pointless."

Quick stats because the flair just eludes me: F/27/5'4 SW: 175 CW: 142 GW: 110-120.

I usually run every morning and afternoon except for Sunday morning in a 5 mile loop at sunrise and sunset for the past 5 months. As a result, I see a lot of familiar people. I'm sure that most everyone in the neighborhood recognizes me. Some have commented on my weight loss and usually those interactions are positive or neutral.

Today, I sort of had a negative reaction? I was doing my run and around the halfway mark at 6:30AM, one of the regulars (an old white man with a long beard) literally asked me to stop to talk to him. I stopped because I thought he just wanted to say hello or something and introduce himself. Instead, he told me that I looked like "a little girl when I run and not a grown person." Shocked, I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure if he was alluding to the weight I loss and if it made me look younger. But then he commented that my form was bad, that it was driving him crazy, that I should really look up what form is, and that if I didn't, "It's just pointless." I tried to laugh it off, said thank you, and just ran away.

I know he might have been trying to be helpful, but it sort of hurt and made me feel bad about myself. I mean I know I'm not a runner or anything... I'm doing it for fun and because it's good for weight loss. And I used to be a competitive swimmer (like college level, D1, swam with Olympic level athletes) so I know that form is important to be fast, to be competitive, and in weightlifting, to avoid injury. But I'm also doing this for my own personal reasons and not to become a marathon runner.

But I don't know why this one hurt so much? Maybe it was because it was the first thing I heard in the morning and I was not expecting criticism from a person I didn't know at all?

submitted by /u/nearpermanentlysour
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3BbclHQ

No comments:

Post a Comment