Thursday, October 7, 2021

Century Club - October 7, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Aesthetics - Resetting Goals - Routine Breaks - Metrics - Starting - Dog Days of Summer -"Bad" Days - Labels - Aches and Pains - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes... - Accountability - Elevator Pitches - (Half-)Marathon Training - Celebrations - Water Weight - Comments - Travel - Disconnects - Activity - Years! - Fun! - Rhythms - How strict? - Relationships - Loose Skin Redux - Multiple Centuries - April Fools! - What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Uniqueness

What's been on my mind this week is uniqueness. It's been the subject of several posts and comments recently and think it's worth visiting a bit here. What makes your journey yours and not anyone else's?

There are two things that continue to stand out to me about my own journey as opposed to many I read about here at r/loseit.

  • I focused on building habits for maintenance at a lower weight rather than just "losing the weight". This was a huge shift for me from previous weight loss attempts. Given that I was planning to live my life at a lower weight for years and decades ahead really freed my mind to understand this wasn't just going to be a short term project "lose the weight" and then back to the bad habits and weight gain.

  • I took advantage of that time to really understand MY satiety triggers, which don't quite work the way that most headlines say. Protein and volume eating/fiber do little for me if they are down without a baseline level of fat. This was hard for my brain to adapt to given that I first attempted intentional weight loss in the mid-90s when "low fat at any cost" was the trend of the times. Food was bland and yet I craved larger and larger portions of it. So these days I don't fear or avoid fat, I embrace it and some days I may even have 40% or so of my calories from fat. Eggs taste a whole lot better cooked in a few grams of butter or bacon fat and my cookware is a lot easier to clean without the spray build up. Eating one 120 kcal lowfat Greek yogurt is so much better than wanting two 100 kcal non-fat equivalent. It's also much easier for me to quiet the hunger demon with 80-150 kcal of nice cheese than many other choices.

So what about you Centurion? What makes your journey uniquely yours?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3DqjF3r

No comments:

Post a Comment