Friday, October 15, 2021

Increased hunger after weight loss

Hello! This might be a question better for r/science, but I'm posting here in hopes that someone here could give some insight.

A year ago I lost some weight and managed to reach my goal weight. Obviously I was very happy about this, but somehow (like many others) I've gained some of that weight back. There are many reasons for this, but I've been trying to figure out how easy it is supposed to be to maintain after weight loss, and honestly it felt harder to maintain than to lose.

Anyway, in my search for this I've come across several research articles and "blog posts" suggesting that people who lose weight can get a permanent increase of ghrelin (hormone that regulates your hunger) levels. If I understood it correctly, this increased circulation is higher the more weight you lost. I can only assume this is the body trying to get back to its original weight.

Now, I don't know if this is the case for me, as I feel it is only natural to feel a bit hungry while the body is adjusting to a new diet with less calories, and also I suspect that there are individual differences regardless of ghrelin. I was never obese, but I lost about 30 - 40lbs to reach my goal weight of 176lbs for a 6'2 male.

My question is: does anyone know how much truth there are to this research? Are these anecdotal studies? Widely adopted truth? I can't help but feel disheartened, as this would mean that maintaining is going to be a struggle for a lot of people, potentially for the rest of their lives.

submitted by /u/Stack_Canary
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3veTN7s

No comments:

Post a Comment