Sunday, October 10, 2021

Small Victory

TL; DR: Have never had good eating habits. Have gained a ton of weight since marriage and COVID hit me hard. I’ve tried starting to lose weight multiple times but always fall off the wagon when I have a gathering with family/friends and have a “cheat meal” that turns into cheat week, month, etc. Was out with family and ordered fajita plate, ate no chips or tortillas, used salsa on the fajita platter, and felt really proud for standing firm when I always cave.

I was always really “healthy” in high school but later learned that I was never actually taking care of my body. Both of my parents are severely overweight and the food and eating habits in our household were terrible. The only thing keeping me in shape or appearing healthy was being a young kid and playing multiple sports. In college I started gaining but it really took off once I got married and started a desk job. I’ve tried multiple times over the last seven years or so to lose weight and have always failed. I tend to do great a a few weeks or months and then when the holidays or outings with family (who have horrible eating habits) come, I will decide to enjoy it and have “a cheat meal” but it usually winds up in overdoing it and falling off the wagon and just eating poorly again until my next decision to eat better.

There have been a lot of times where I have gone to a party or to a restaurant and prepared myself mentally to “order healthy, avoid the junk, eat dinner before the party” but always wind up being tempted and eating the junk or bad menu items and it transitions me back into the bad habits.

This weekend we went to a place with a bunch of food stalls and trucks with some friends. My friends ordered unhealthy items, my wife and young kid got some Mexican platters, and I felt beyond tempted. I overcame and found a juice/smoothie bar and ordered a much healthier option and felt so good mentally, physically, and emotionally.

The same thing happened when we were out with my parents and aunt who was in town that evening. We wound up at a Mexican restarting and I have always eaten bowls of chips and then order the chimichanga. I stood firm to my plan and ordered chicken fajitas, ate no chips or tortillas, and used the salsa on the chicken and veggies. Walked out feeling so good physically, mentally, and emotionally.

So far I’m doing really well (closing in on a month) and want to keep making progress in weight loss but also life change. Most of my friends or family couldn’t understand why these small victories mean so much to me but I know you guys can. Thanks for the support and all the stories that continue to motivate and encourage me!

submitted by /u/nbnicholas
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3AyJaxj

No comments:

Post a Comment