Monday, October 18, 2021

Sometimes Losing Weight Isn't Enough - But It's Still Worth It

Around March of this year, I was finally starting to feel like the world had taken a positive turn and it was time to stop living like the world was ending. Like a lot of people, I had become pretty lax with diet and exercise during the pandemic and had gained about 15-20 lbs. Prior to the pandemic, I had already been trying to lose 5-10 lbs. I decided to see my doctor to get my weight "officially" on record, and do some blood tests to see how I had screwed up other numbers. Everything looked okay, except my total and LDL cholesterol numbers which were 236 and 152, respectively. Recommendations are that total is below 200 and LDL is below 130. Given my family history of heart disease, this was the wake-up call I needed to get back on the healthy train and the doctor recommended cutting down on carbs, sugar, and process foods and to get more exercise in. I am a 5'6" 32F and my starting weight was 180 lbs. I knew I wanted to end up around 150-155 lbs, which is the upper end of my "healthy" weight range, but I knew setting that goal initially would doom me, so I decided goal #1 was to target 165 lbs. I just had to lose 15 lbs. I have previously gotten down to 140 lbs, but the effort to not only get there but to sustain it is something I just can't and don't want to do anymore, so I decided to aim just a bit higher.

I had a trip planned for July that I was using as a target to just feel more comfortable in my clothes. I started doing Peloton classes and ordering healthy lunches and being more mindful of after-work snacking and weight started coming off quickly. I felt so much more comfortable in my own skin. My July trip came and went and I noticed my weight started to creep up a bit. I buckled down, increased my strength-focused workouts and upped my weights and it started coming down again.

I booked a beach vacation for October. Literally, the day of my trip, I hit 165.8 lbs. Goal #1 basically achieved. I visited my doctor the day before to get my cholesterol numbers checked again: 224 for total and 149 for LDL. Basically, no change and my numbers were still above the recommendations.

I was definitely disappointed, but this showed me how strong genetics can be and how important weight management is in spite of that. If I had this strong genetic tendency coupled with higher weight, I'd be at an even higher risk. My sister, who is very thin and in excellent shape, also has elevated cholesterol numbers.

Even though I didn't make much impact to my cholesterol numbers, I have significantly improved my overall health. I am stronger. My cardiovascular fitness has improved. I legitimately enjoy working out and exercised every day on both my trips. An added bonus is that I am so much happier and confident. Goal #2 of reaching 150-155 lbs is now the focus, and I'm paying so much more attention to my diet and focusing more on plant-based nutrition. I am hopeful that my cholesterol numbers will change in suit.

My point is this: sometimes you do all the right things and it doesn't totally work out, but that doesn't mean your efforts aren't worth it. Weight is just a singular facet of overall health.

Weight Loss Plot

submitted by /u/LadyMasterChemist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3FV3P2G

No comments:

Post a Comment