Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Texture issues: so much of healthy food is...mushy! Options for veg, fruit, and whole grains that are flavorful and crisp needed!

One of my biggest challenges with subbing in healthier options in my daily meals (like beans, veggies, etc) is that the textures are so unappealing. For example, I have a fancy food delivery service and one meal is "Acorn squash stuffed with mushroom". I like mushrooms but the texture of squash is going to make that one a tough sell. Ditto on tofu curry bowl.

Same with MANY cooked veggies: eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, squashes and other gourds, beans, cauliflower and broccoli, oatmeal, whole grains like quinoa, faro, millet, etc.

My weight loss coach is pushing me to reduce carbs and I agree, but it's really tough to find filling foods that aren't high calorie (for example, subbing in nuts or cheese means a much smaller serving) and that 'round out' a meal and provide variety. She's also pushing smoothies on me, and again, that's not a terrible lunch or snack idea but the idea of drinking my breakfast just makes me REAL sad.

Raw fruit and veg is cool but it's often bland and watery (cukes, carrots, radish, etc) and does almost nothing to help me feel full.

I also intensely dislike the texture and taste of most meat, so chicken strips and stuff like that is kind of out.

A typical day of eating for me:

Breakfast is a cheese and egg sandwich on a small biscuit + a 2% milk cappuccino with 2-3 pumps of flavor syrup---about 400 calories or so. Occasionally do a Daily Harvest forager bowl, about 250 calories (oats or millet with fruit and nuts).

Lunch varies but usually Daily Harvest grain bowls (which are about 300 calories and have leafy greens, complex carbs, and veggies) + a serving of cheese, fruit for dessert or Jello cup. Sometimes a frozen diet entree instead of a grain bowl + a Daily Harvest smoothie (those are about 100 calories usually)

Snack: a small wedge of hard cheese + grapes or figs, serving of nuts + mini candy bar, granola + low fat or nut milk, (one of those) or skip

Dinner: varies, but it's often a frozen diet entree of about 300-400 calories + a small Jello + fruit or sugar free Jello cup

I don't really count calories but I do take pictures of my food and try to follow mindful eating practices.

--Just for reference--

If anyone has found low cal, nutrient dense healthier options that have flavor and texture that's not "mush" please let me know!

submitted by /u/Chazzyphant
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2X9Fi8A

No comments:

Post a Comment