Thursday, October 14, 2021

The mathematics of weight loss AKA, "Why have I stopped losing?"

Hello! I've been seeing a lot of posts lately tend to revolve around the "i've CICO'd for 2 weeks now and i've stopped losing weight, what's wrong?" and I thought I would share my own personal data. Here is my weight loss graph over the last ~4ish months. In that time period I have lost almost 35 pounds. You can see exactly where I decided to get my act together.

https://imgur.com/a/MPEhsyy

Note that the dark line represents the trend and the white line represents the day-day measurements. To achieve this, I reduced my carb intake, increased my protein and incorporated light exercise almost every day. This is what worked for me, your results may vary.

There is 3 important takeaways here.

  • Some days you will lose weight and other days you will gain. If you are sticking to your diet, gains are almost always explainable by water weight. The important measure is the trend, don't let a temporary gain kill your ambition.
  • The trend is not linear. As you lose weight, your rate of loss will decrease. Why? As you lose weight, it takes less energy to stay alive and your basal calorie expenditure will decrease. Initially my weight loss rate was about 10lbs/month. Now its about 5 and I am ok with that.
  • Day-day weight fluctuates a lot and for many reasons other than fat gain! Some that I have noticed: Sore muscles tend to retain water. Higher salt intake will tend to retain water.

Long story short, don't pay a huge amount of attention to the day-day measurements. The trend is where the real data is. Just keep working at it, manage your intake and you will achieve your goal! Your health is important, you can do it!

NOTE: This data came from my Fitbit Aria scale. Its wifi connected and it automatically keeps track of my progress. Ive used it for years and it seems to be pretty sturdy.

submitted by /u/TheStoicSlab
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3DW9XWP

No comments:

Post a Comment