Sunday, October 17, 2021

Two contradictory ways of dealing with Trigger Food?

Technically, I don't believe I actually binge very much per definition as others might do. I have certain foods I like to have (e.g. Chocolate, or Pudding) every now and then and feel bad for having them because I believe they're hindering me from my attempts at weight loss. I feel like I shouldn't shame myself for having them, as that might make it worse.

So I've looked into solutions. I've found two completely, literally contradictory methods of cutting out Trigger Foods.

1) Don't stock/have them at home. They call this winning 90% of the "fight", as you no longer have to deal with the option of it. Technically, this makes sense.

2) Stock/have a lot of them at home, don't deny yourself to have them, and simply be mindful if it is what you still really want and don't shame yourself. This is not the same as simply mindlessly eating them when they're at home as one would to gain weight. They say with this method, one's Trigger Foods will lose its spark of interest for you over time.

From my personal experience, both of these methods make sense. I've been trying Method 1 for the past week, as I prefer my own experience over anything other's tell me, and it seems to work okay, but anytime someone does bring junk home, I simply wanna eat it and I crave it just because I know I shouldn't! I don't know if this is very sustainable, and I do wanna be in control of myself in presence of these foods, and of course I don't want to cut out my favourite foods entirely either, but if I went with this method, I shouldn't be able to have them at home, and therefore, I am cutting them out entirely.

Now as for Method 2. I've tried Method 2 as well in the past, and here's something else I'd like to add to it. My mom knows exactly how this works, as she had a sister who restricted her daughter's eating pattern similar to Method 1, if not much worse. My mom's sister chained up the fridge so her daughter would not be able to eat. What happened? Once her daughter moved out, she immediately had a Binge Eating Disorder. She now weighs 90kg(~180lbs, forgive me for being imprecise) and still struggles with it years after coming out of that household. It was, essentially, Method 1 materialized, and it's why I'm refraining from continuing with Method 1, as I feel like anytime I try it, I binge as well, even if that's not the norm for me at all!

Now, what did my mother do upon knowing that? Method 2, mind you, I was a child. We all know how children have no self-control around virtually anything. However, my mom told me, she put literally all the junk on the table in a bowl where I could see it, a silent affirmation of "You can have it whenever you want, there's no scarcity whatsoever". What happened? The junk would quite literally go bad. I'd eat it sometimes, but in a rate so slow, it went bad before I could ever finish it. Mind you, again, I was a child, and not an overweight one at all. She told me she'd even hide it when we had guests, because other children who weren't allowed sweets in their household would binge like crazy on it when they saw it.

So, I'm not sure. I'm still thinking of trying each method for a month or so to see what happens, but nowadays I'm more convinced of Method 2 simply from personal experience. I'd like to hear your guy's views on this, but please refrain from being offended or bitter, or anything like that.

submitted by /u/Imaginary-Host06
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3p8OXaS

No comments:

Post a Comment