Thursday, January 9, 2020

HAES is just as much of a science denying load of crock as the anti-vax movement is and I'm sick of it.

I've got a couple of friends who have fallen hard for the HAES movement, they use it to validate their choices and it does upset me but you can't make people change so I generally leave it alone.

Now I'll get behind body positivity and body acceptance in a heartbeat, nobody should be shamed for what they look like and everyone should love their bodies even if those bodies aren't 'perfect'. But you can do that while accepting that being overweight is not the healthiest state to live in, they are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Too much or too little body fat is just not healthy and to deny that is to deny science.

I'm also sick of my weight-loss being put down to luck by these same people who preach HAES. To them, I lost weight because I was lucky. Because I wasn't meant to be fat and was just returning to my bodies natural size. Because I don't have any medical conditions that make it hard to lose weight.

Firstly I lost weight because I decided enough was enough and I worked hard at it, you don't lose 75kg by fucking happenstance and luck. Secondly, I fucking have PCOS and hypothyroidism, the two most common conditions people say they have which makes it impossible for them to lose weight! I am sick of my weightloss being invalidated, I don't want fanfare I just want certain people to stop pretending like I had it easy and didn't work my arse off...literally.

The really sad part is I am so close to ending a friendship over this nonsense. This person keeps sending me HAES articles even though I've told them I'm not interested, even though I've stopped talking about weight at all with them ages ago, hell I've stopped talking about most anything with them. The final straw was when I posted a '10 years and a lot of hard work' before and after picture and they sent me a message saying that that was insensitive to post because my post implies that anyone can lose weight when that's not true and that it gives people false hope.

I just needed to rant I guess, back in the beginning I tried to explain this calmly but it fell on deaf ears and I just can't be fucked anymore. Especially since I never once actually broached the subjects of weight loss and fitness directly with her, she'd always accost me via messenger after I'd post something on Facebook.

submitted by /u/vivian_lake
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QYI7lI

No comments:

Post a Comment