Friday, January 3, 2020

How do you make it sink in that slow progress is good progress?

I've had a lifetime battle with weight/food/diet. I've always been told that the faster you lose weight the better, despite reading (and knowing) that rapid weight loss is frequently not sustainable long-term. Cutting a long story short, I'm struggling to get out of the mindset of lowering my calories so that I lose more than 2lbs a week, particularly because I'm so tired of being obese and want to just get on with my life.

How do I teach myself that weight loss of 2lbs a week or less is good and fine?

I want to get into an exercise program that will be quite intense, so it's hard to find a happy medium between reducing calories for weight loss while maintaining sufficient calories to keep up with my exercise. I read a post recently where a guy who was quite tall lost a whole lot of weight sticking to 1500 calories a day while exercising. Another post by a different man said they had lost fat and gained muscle by doing intense training and sticking to a surplus of 200-300 calories daily. I feel so confused and like I don't know anything anymore. On the one hand, cutting calories down to something like 1500 seems reasonable. On the other, I doubt I can stick with my plans to spend at least an hour a day working out (mostly cardio) at those intake levels.

I think the issue is a lifetime of being told by family members that surviving on as few calories as possible was the right thing to do, and that faster weight loss is better. I'm trying to teach myself that slow weight loss is okay and consistency is most important.

Does anyone have any advice for helping that message sink in?

submitted by /u/statusconference
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Qn0OR6

No comments:

Post a Comment