Friday, January 10, 2020

Losing weight is more "mental health" related than you might think

How many of you have experienced problems with emotional and binge eating either currently or in the past? (I raise both of my hands)

I've known this for longer than I would like to admit, but it still never stopped the bully in my head beating me down every chance it got. I would tear myself down until I really didn't care about how I looked or felt. I self deprecated and stuffed my face until I'd get new scars on my stomach, and then I would go on a "diet".

I would keep myself from eating foods that I enjoyed all together during these "diets". And behind closed doors I would binge on "low" and "no-calorie" foods (lots and LOTS of jello, lean cuisine, diet soda). Nothing could have been more detrimental to my mental and physical health than the literal ups and downs on the scale. My brain was constantly foggy, and my joints constantly hurt. Because of my emotional trauma, I would fill myself with anything to drown my sadness from the inside out-- Or so I thought. Eating wasn't always comforting, a lot of the time it was punishment and self harm.

I had binged since I was 8, and I never even thought about getting help in that aspect of my food addiction. I thought "I'm just fat and lazy" Yes I was fat, but I have never been lazy, I just have ADHD and depression. I was always one of the hardest workers at UPS-- And at the gym I would work out so hard that I would injure myself. I KNEW it wasn't true, but I thought that it was. I thought that restricting calories and working out would be the best and only solution to me being unhappy with my physique. I thought I wasn't making progress, EVEN WHEN I WAS. So I just convinced myself that I would fail, and I always did. So when that didn't work for 20 years, I had to look inside of myself for the answer.

That's when I realized that I wasn't dieting for all of those years. You might have not been either, not until now. I was caught in a binge-restrict cycle. It was an eating disorder that I knew I had for as long as I can remember, but I was so unwilling to admit that to myself. I wasn't ready to hear it.

If you are reading this and you're tired of failing time and time again, just trust me on this-- YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED PHYSICALLY UNTIL YOU ALLOW YOURSELF TO DO SO MENTALLY. Something in your brain has to click-- and for me, it was understanding that I needed mental help in order to make my dreams and goals a reality. If this is the case for you, admitting you have a problem and getting help DOES NOT make you weak, it makes you stronger.

The light bulb turned on, and my weight loss has jump started my entire body. I felt so good to see my progress, but there was still my depression nagging me nonstop. So I saw my psychiatrist and he prescribed Prozac to me for my binge eating disorder. Not only that but I am back on my ADHD medication for the first time since choosing to stop taking it when I was 18. I believe in myself more than I ever have, and this support group helps me every day.

Don't get me wrong, weight loss is always about the food you put into your body-- but it's not always just about that*.*

Never give up hope, believe in yourself and I promise you will be the best version of yourself you have ever been. Stay well my friends!

submitted by /u/therealquesticle
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/308IEFX

No comments:

Post a Comment