Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Lost 40lbs last year, gained almost all of it back, and now I’m starting over.

In January of last year, my PCP prescribed me Phentermine pills to help with appetite suppression and weight loss. Almost immediately after I started taking them, I began to feel extremely hyper/shaky/jittery, but they were working so I kept taking them. I took them for 3 months and lost almost 30lbs from just not wanting to eat and having increased energy for activities. By April, I had stopped taking the pills, but I was still eating less and making better food choices with increased activity levels, so I continued to lose. Throughout April, I felt almost high, with an elevated mood and increased energy. I decided to get a second job, so I was working about 55 hours a week. At the beginning of May, I had a three day stretch where I hardly slept or ate anything, and then I went into psychosis, resulting in a 5-day hospitalization. I was immediately diagnosed with Bipolar Type 1 and started on medication. It turns out that Phentermine can cause Mania in people with Bipolar Disorder, and I had had my first ever manic episode, followed by psychosis. After getting out of the hospital, my life felt like it was falling apart. I had missed two weeks of work, lost my second job, and started losing friends as well. I felt completely disconnected and uncomfortable. My depression spiraled out of control, and even though I was medicated and seeing a therapist, my mental health was in the worst shape of my life. My old habits of eating out, overeating, and living an overall sedentary lifestyle came back with a vengeance. I stopped caring about myself. I had to give up alcohol due to my meds, so I overcompensated with sugary drinks and food. Within 4 months, I had gained back almost all the weight that I had lost. The holidays brought with them a sense of joy and togetherness that I hadn’t felt in a long time, and I am now at a place where I feel hopeful again. I want to get my life turned around and get my health under control. I really appreciate this community and I want to thank anyone who has read this far. It feels good to write all this out and know that I am likely not alone in mental health playing a huge role in my weight fluctuations. I’m ready to make a change.

submitted by /u/practicalsoup
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QSSqYx

No comments:

Post a Comment