Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Weight loss tips for those with a history of disordered eating

I found the general weight loss tips thread, and thought it would be beneficial to add some tips specifically for those who have struggled with eating disorders or disordered eating patterns in the past.

Personally, I've gone from a BMI of 17 to 27 to 22. I've seen that it's very common to start out underweight, and overshoot the healthy range so that you have to lose weight again. If you've had unhealthy thought patterns in the past, it's incredibly easy to go back into them while you're trying to lose weight in a healthy manner.

So, here's some tips I've gathered during my journey:

- Focus more on fitness than weight. I'd argue that the gym is more important to us than people without a past of disordered eating, because it keeps us in check. If you're training for a 5k, you have to eat a baseline amount of calories, or else you won't have the energy to improve for your race.

- Consider avoiding any sort of fasting. It might work for you, but I know that it makes me fall back into unhealthy thought patterns.

- Tell someone else about your goals regularly. Having someone to keep you in check and make sure you don't fall back into old habits is very important.

- Count calories, but have a strict lower bound that you absolutely will not go under except under very special circumstances (ex. stomach flu). For me, that's 1200 calories. It might be different for you.

- Weigh yourself weekly, not daily. Weighing yourself daily is a good way to start obsessing over your weight again.

- Recognize unhealthy thought patterns when they start. If you catch one and can't shake it off, talk to someone about it asap. Let them talk you out of it.

- I'd recommend seeing a therapist, nutritionist, etc. while doing this. I know this may not be possible for everyone, but it can be very helpful.

- Let me reiterate the importance of having a fitness goal. It's the only thing that's worked for me long-term. It shifts your focus from getting thinner to getting stronger/faster/whatever, which I find decreases unhealthy thoughts and increases self-confidence.

I hope this helps, and feel free to add more!

submitted by /u/AChangeOfSeasoning
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/35xgllJ

No comments:

Post a Comment